Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FBPublish and Event ID: 8213 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone1295

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2002
US
I have a fresh install of Exchange 2k that has been service packed on a brand new Win2k Server that has been service packed.

The trouble I'm having is that I constantly and continiously get an FBPublish error.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeFBPublish
Event Category: General
Event ID: 8213
Description: System Attendant Service failed to create a session for the virtual machine ******.
The error number is 0x80044501.

Ok, I've searched MS and EventID.net and I've tried to use their solution (Q296151), but my problem is that the article tells me to go out to the MSExchangeFBPublish key under Services and then edit a field under my "Server" value. The problem is that I don't have a MSExchangeFBPublish value to edit. Furthermore, while searching the registry for FBPublish, the only hit I get is from ..../services/eventlog/applications.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Hi Dan,

Ok, I have looked in active directory (with advanced features view checked) on the exchange 2000 server and cannot find the group called "Exchange Services".

The only two groups I have in AD that reference Exchange are "Exchange Domain Servers" and "Exchange Enterprise Servers".

The members of "Exchange Domain Servers" are Administrator and MAIL1 (my exchange server computer object).

The members of "Exchange Enterprise Servers" are "Exchange Domain Servers".

All of my Exchange services start up with "Local System Account".

You mention:

>>Step 11....

>>If you expand Admin Groups. Then properties of your group do you see the service account?

I'm afraid I still don't understand that.

Thank you for any help.

Ok so we are past step 9 as those permissions will work.

It sounds as if you've never had Exchange 5.5 since you don't have the Exchange Services group. ADC creates this. But you mentioned "Could there be some remnent of exch 5.5 causing this problem?" So was 5.5 ever here?

Step 11.

Open Exchange System Manager
Expand Administrative Groups
Here you will see a Group. It will be the same name as a 5.5 Site if you joined the 5.5 Site.
Right click the Group and goto properties. The screen that comes up will show the 5.5 Service account.

Is the Admin Group Pure 2000 now? Do you see this?

Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Hi Dan,

this particular machine never had exch 5.5 on it but another machine did and was upgraded to exchange 2000.

The exchange 2000 mailboxes (and everything else) from the upgraded machine were moved to this machine and the old machine decomishioned.

Ok, I open my system manager.

I expand the administrative groups.

There is one group in there. I right click the group and goto properties. The screen that comes up has two tabs, general and details. There is nothing on the general tab screen except the group name towards the top. No buttons or user names or anything, just grey space.

Sounds like the group is Native now? Dan

Yes, the exchange 2000 server has been set to native mode as well as windows 2000.

any ideas?

So does that only appear when you are not in Native mode? It seems like Q296151 doesn't apply to me then? Is there another article that I should be following?

Yes that applies to mixed mode. Dan

Any other ideas what I can do to stop that message from appearing every 25 minutes then?

Not without seeing the configuration. There is too much to look at now. Dan

Ok, thanks anyways. I guess this is one of those situations that require a re-install of the whole server.

I have the same issue: there's not a "MSExchangeFBPublish" key, only a "MSExchangeFB" key - and that one does not have a "Parameters" sub-key. :-(
So, I could create these keys; however, the XADM article really implies that the keys *should* be there, so perhaps my configuration is really hosed.
Let me know if you guys figure this one out. Thanks,
mailto:stephenw@perimeter.org

Nobody to this day can solve this problem for me. I'll keep your email address and if I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Let me ask you this though, did you used to have 5.5 and upgraded to exch2000?

Has anyone figured this on out?
I have the same problem. Exchange was upagraded from 5.5 and is now in native mode.
Mail to:rbrown@cooperandturner.co.uk

I as well have the exact same problem ...

abean@schergroup.com if anyone has a working fix

Thank you

Take a look at this thread - worked like a champ for us (we had upgraded from 5.5 to 2000) !

Basically:
1) Use ADSIEDIT and drill down to:

Configuration\Services\Microsoft Exchange\<your org>\Administrative Groups\<group-name>

2) Right-click on the <group-name> and select properties. In the properties dialog box, select the attributes tab. Then use the "select a property to view" to examine:

> msExchAdminGroupMode: 2
> msExchLegacyAccount: [account name];
> msExchLegacyDomain: [domain name];
> msExchEncryptedPassword: <ldp: Binary blob>;

Note: msExchAdminGroupMode = 2 indicates mixed mode and was the problem at our site.

3) To fix the problem:

Clear msExchEncryptedPassword
Clear msExchLegacyAccount
Clear msExchLegacyDomain
Change msExchAdminGroupMode from 2 to 0 (zero)
Restart Exchange services

For more information about ADSIEDIT and support tools:

Configuration\Services\Microsoft Exchange\<your-org>\Administrative Groups\<group-name>

2) Right-click on the <group-name> and select properties. In the properties dialog box, select the attributes tab. Then use the "select a property to view" to examine:

When I right click my <group-name> (which is actually the same as my domain name, and is the only en try under Admin Groups), I see no 'attributes' tab?

Configuration\Services\Microsoft Exchange\<your-org>\Administrative Groups\<group-name>

- Under Admin Groups, there is only one entry. It is our domain. I check the properties, and do not see an 'attributes' tag?

Sorry for the double post.

I had the same results,

> msExchAdminGroupMode: 2

Now, I do not know if we are supposed to be native or mixed, but I do beileve native. In by clearning these values, will I hurt anything else after restarting the services?

Clear msExchEncryptedPassword
Clear msExchLegacyAccount
Clear msExchLegacyDomain
Change msExchAdminGroupMode from 2 to 0 (zero)

- I have done each of these. And restarted the services. Now when I go back and view each of these though, all the data is cleared. I put them all back, except for 'msExchEncryptedPassword' ... how do I get this back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back