Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax not answering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ103

Programmer
Jul 20, 2009
GB
To All,

I have an IP office 412 version 4.1(9) with an analoge pots 16 module version 6.1(9)and a fax machine plugged into the analogue extension.

When you call the DDI number the fax machine says receiving but the call will not connect to fax tones or receive a fax if one is sent.

Checked programming against a working fax and both setup exactly the same.

Has anyone come accross this issue before? and if so how can you rectify the problem?

We have tried rebooting the analogue poerts and the system.

If the fax says "receiving" then the ring voltage is adequate for the fax machine. Is it possible that you're using SIP trunks and the carrier's T.38 is kicking in, yet the IPOffice is ignoring the reinvite? Test by putting a test phone on the port and call the fax number. Can you answer and carry on a conversation? Use SSA and trace calls to the fax extension and see what you see...
Mike

The customer does have a SIP connection she will confirm if the number is coming in via SIP. Unfortunatly no test / pot phone at site to test thanks for your help

Are you sure that it is set to any instead of any voice in your incoming call route

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Hello tlpeter,

The bearer is set to any and still saying the same reciving and ring tone no reply. Very strange

I have had it one time !
Just one fax i never got it working on inbound calls
Outbound it worked fine

Show the customer a working analog phone.

RTFM.gif

This is the same all other faxes at site are all ok.

I believe it was a Canon :)

RTFM.gif

you could try to set the speed in the fax settings to be fix at 9600 instead of having it negotiate as then it will try 14400 first.
You could also try and put your test set on it and monitor if the faxes actually do the proper handshake and start their setup

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Tried changing the speed and the fault is still the same tried new line cords mod taps etc. End user is now going to try the fax directly into the analouge POTS 16 module port 10.
Thank you all for your help will keep you posted.

To All,

Tested the port with a POT phone and all ok must be the fax itself. Going to reset it to factory default and see what happens.

Some fax machines are not PBX compatible, the voltages are a little different so sometimes they answer but don't recieve some just will not answer :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

These are the additional tests we have done. Port works with a POT phone

I have applied a config from a week ago when the fax machine was definitely working and I still have the same issue, just to be sure I applied one from 2 weeks ago and it is still the same. I hooked a different fax machine up again and it’s the same.

I am literally out of things to try now! I have ruled out the fax machine, the programming, the lines – any more ideas?

Do you think it could be the analogue ports module connected to the IP office? It’s the only thing left now by my reckoning? I have power cycled the units following all of my rebooting etc just to be sure but no joy.

I know for a fact, that several all in one fax machine, scanner , printer type have compatibility issues across anything other than an analoge line.

Module's deliver less power then the ports on the ipo itself !

RTFM.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back