Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax Issue!!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intouch01

Technical User
Feb 13, 2014
Hi,

I have been trying to resolve this issue which has friend my brain for most of the day.

I am trying to get a fax to work on ext 208 - the fax number is 01621 744644 we can fax out but not receive faxes. When we attach an analogue phone to the extension it can dial out but not receive calls.

I have attached the config, if anyone can shed any light it will be greatly appreciated.

The other thing that the customer wants to do is use all three lines for outgoing but set it so that the main number 01621 742922 (two of the 3 lines) is the main one shown and either prevent the third line (the fax number) from being shown or only show it when the third line is in use which should have the lowest priority.

I have had a long week and usually could resolve this I am sure

did you build an incoming call route for the fax extension?, I have not looked at the config yet.

so is line 4 the fax line and in service as I do see an incoming call route for this? what does system status show?

I created a separate line group ID for the fax number and created an inbound call route for that line id, the destination is 208.

System status shows that it is attempting to alert the end party (208) but the analogue handset is not ringing and if we try this with the fax, this will not receive a fax.

Extension 208 is idle and there is no DND or call forwarding

yes I now see that, try changing the extension 208 from fax to a standard telephone and retest

Don't use the fax option as this is only for sip.
Analog faxes should use the default settings.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

This is even stranger now the handset does not ring but if answered you can speak to each other. I thought this may be just the handset playing up but its strange that the fax won't receive a fax.

Let's take the pbx out of the picture here, hook directly on line 4 with a test set and call it and let us know if it rings and if you can answer the call

Yes plugged the handset directly into the BT socket and it rings when dialed

This is probably a very old fax.
In the past you needed to connect the B pin to the D pin so that the ringer also had power. No power, no ring but a talk path when you picked up.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

sound like the port on the combo card is not giving you enough ringing voltage, just to rule out a wiring issue, plug the phone directly into bp1-8 on the switch and retest, if it works then you have some sort of wiring issue, id it doesn't try another port on the pbx.

The cable used to go from the handset to the system is one we created ourselves. Is there any possibility that the voice could be travelling through the wires but preventing the ringing?

yaaaaaaa put in a proper cable you can not use a handset cable for tip and ring

I have an RJ11 to RJ11 cable I purchased earlier and this one does not work at all. The cable we created is CAT5e to RJ11. If we purchase a standard CAT5e to RJ11 cable should this work or does it need to be a specific cable?

I would use the rj45 on pbx side and rj11 on fax side, put in a new cable and you should be good to go, good luck

A standard rj11 to rj11 would work as well but some people claim that these can cause damage to the analog port on pbx side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back