Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

faq184-2483

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigsboyd

IS-IT--Management
Nov 9, 2002
US
I find myself frustrated these days by questions that don't include information that is relevant to answering the question or solving the problem. So many threads are started these days that don't have the code that is causing the problem posted and don't include what the member is trying to accomplish and why. Sometimes even when members ask the person who started the thread to please post this information they are still reluctant or unwilling to post the pertinent information. These are important things to have and I see members who are trying to help spending more and more of their time asking questions just to get these essential bits of information to help someone. Why make it so hard to get helped? faq184-2483 gives some very good guidelines on how to create an effective thread that has a higher percentage chance of getting answered and resolved.

Also, I have noticed a pattern of certain members not responding back to a thread after many members have taken time to post solutions and answers. Why is that? Seems less than polite and a little on the ungrateful side to me. You don't have to hand stars out like candy and praise every single post that someone makes to your thread. But something like "Thanks to everyone who helped. I appreciate your taking the time. I think I've got it now." or even "Thanks, but that still doesn't work.", would go a long way with those posting to the thread. It's not just peoples feelings that I'm worried about here either. Seems that the forum can suffer from this type of behavior (some people will just stop taking the time because they feel unappreciated). This is a give and take relationship out here and "Thanks" is the least we owe each other in my opinion.

Well, this thread probably won't make it through the night because it is not technical in nature. But I feel better for having written it.

Slighthaze = NULL

I appreciate your concerns. It is good being polite and gentle while posting questions. It is very Courteous to say 'Thank You very much' once a question get answered even if it solved the problem or not.

I feel it is very technical and relevant. Just an FYI I will read most every thread that have replies from "the names on the left" because after 15 some years I am reminded daily that I still have much to learn.
Big Thanks to ALL posters

Steve Bowman
steve.bowman@ultraex.com

slighthaze

I thing I would suggest that regular members should include the link to FAQ184-2483 to their signature. The FAQ was written for anyone to use and point other members to; it might intrigue other members enough to actually "think" of the question they are asking and formulate it in such a way that if they heard the question the way it was asked,they be able to answer it.
But we have to also consider a few factors. If you are a programmer "under the gun" to get a problem solved, your natural reaction is to post your question in as many sites as you can, wait and see which one anwsers first and grab that answer and run with it, and leave the others sites "hanging". It has been like that for a long time and it is hard to change the way of the world. But I have also noticed smoe "newer" members feel confident enough to respond to the question, which is encouraging to see.
Anyways Slight, I agree with you that sometimes it is just frustrating.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Mike,

I believe your suggestion to include the FAQ link in our signatures is a good one.

Slighthaze = NULL

[ul][li]FAQ184-2483
An excellent guide to getting a fast and accurate response to your questions in this forum.
[/li][/ul]

Slighthaze,

Thanks for posting this.

I always do my best to answer questions -- as I know you do too -- but I find it difficult when the question is vague or incomplete.

I would ask everyone to read through their questions before hitting the Submit button. Does it accurately describe the problem? Does it give enough information? Does the title accurately reflect the question?

By the way, the issue here is not the English language. Many non-native English speakers will inevitably make mistakes with their grammar and spelling (as I do when I write in French). That doesn't matter. The important thing is to give enough information to have the question answered.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Slighthaze,

Eventhough I am "new" here, I know exactly what you said. Because I feel that too sometimes.

You are not alone :)
Regards

-- AirCon --

Thanks Slighthaze !! ;-)

I must say that I find it frustrating as well when you have put effort in something just to help someone out and you never know if it was helpfull because you never received any response on the things you have posted.

It is like talking to a firewall ;-)

Anyhow, it is good to read that most of the users have the best intentions with this group.

Cheers,

Weedz (Edward W.F. Veld)
My private project:Download the CrownBase source code !!

Being competent if no expert myself, I would agree wholeheartedly with everyones comments. If you have taken the bother to ask for help, it is generally assumed that you have exhausted your own possibilities. A more informative and clearly descripted post will inevitably lead to a quicker response. I also wish that credit was given where credit is due. To anyone browsing the forum, it is then immediately apparent when a solution has been found.
After all its only common courtesy to reply with at least a token of thanks to the additional work someone has done on your behalf.

WTrueman
...if it works dont mess with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back