Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fake key sytem 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

roundman18

Technical User
May 8, 2012
US
Is anybody tricking the IPO to be a key system? If so how and how well is it working?

It is not a key system so don't try letting it be.
If you are born in the USA then you never ever will be a Japanese!

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

I have several customers using it as a key system while in Standard mode. The trick is to create an ICR to a HG with an unused analog extension in it, that way incoming calls ring only on the line appearance and they only need one intercom key.

APSS - ACIS - ACSS

Easiest way would be buy an actual key system, rather than a PABX!!

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Since key systems are everywhere here in the US people are used to and want the same look and feel. Sure it is easier for those who have never used a key system to use a call appearance system. But is is harder for those who have always used a key system to convert to a non key system. Understandable.

Avaya no longer sells a stand alone key systems but still caters to the crowd but offering key system lite aka IPO using line appearances. As much as I would prefer not to maintain IPO key systems it is a reality for generations to come.

So while Britian uses the Euro they still keep the pound around. <Analogy lite

thrtnastrx how do you put the call on hold and pick it up on another station?

The way we try to push our customers who are used to Key type functions is to use Park buttons. I would say 90% of customers who had Key and went to IPO are ok with this and Proper training.

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

roundman18 I use Line Appearance keys on the stations. Maybe I don't understand your question.

We use Park keys for 90% of our customers but for ones with four or fewer lines, we use line appearance.

APSS - ACIS - ACSS

I have several customers using it as a key system while in Standard mode. The trick is to create an ICR to a HG with an unused analog extension in it, that way incoming calls ring only on the line appearance and they only need one intercom key. "

I've done this as well, and it does get rid the issue of calls showing up on both line appearances AND call appearances.

The big remaining issue is privacy... if you want to put a call on a line appearance on hold and pick up elsewhere, you need to turn "cannot be intruded" off, and guess what that does. Call-barging galore, three people answering the same call within milli-seconds of each other... oh the horror! Twas a debacle menagerie.

GB

I'm using ICR to a HG as well and it does work but what I've found is that it has been a little annoying in that when a call comes in, it flashes on both the line appearance and on the intercom.

When you pick it up and or put it on hold, both the line appearance and the intercom button flash as if both are on hold and as a result, you cannot pick up the one intercom button to call another extension or do a page all. Gotta add another intercom button for that.

If anyone knows a solution other than adding another intercom button I'd be interested to know!

Same situation here. Ive setup a couple of them like that. If we could get away from multiple intercom presences then that would be great!

ncc63725

Have you tried NOT putting any of the users (except the non-ringing analog extension) in the HG? Give them all HHGname source numbers so they can see if VM is left, but don't actually put them in the HG.

Calls will only come in the their line appearances that way, and the non-ringing analog extension ensures that the calls don't go to HG VM until the no answer timer expires.

There's still the privacy issue, and that kills the deal for me.

Line appearances are Evil and unnecessary
I have not found one example of where a line appearance provides improved operation let alone one where it is necessary.

As I have said before if you find you need a line appearance key you are doing it wrong & need to rethink your approach.

Even if it does work now on a small system it is not a scalable solution & will bite in the future.
better to train the customer on day 1 to use the system correctly than try to re-educate them 6,12 or 18 months later when they have outgrown the original design.

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

If you uncheck "Ringing Line Preference", and leave "Idle Line Preference" checked in the User->Telephony->Multi-Line settings, it should take care of the issue where a person who wants to make an outgoing call accidentally picks up a ringing line that is not meant for them.

Dan

If it ain't broke, why fix it?
If it's broke, try to fix it..
If you can't fix it, get yourself a good baseball bat and swing away! :)

I am new to the IP Office system and we are coming from a key system. Most of the users are rednecks and are resistant to change. We only have 4 lines so I'd like to make it as much like the old system as possible. That being the case, I'd like to get some more info on how to do the ICR to a HG with an unused analog extension.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Ifs hat I've never understood is the phrase "I want it like my old one"

Then keep your bloody old system then!!!!

People will get used to new things on phone within a day or 2 and it is our job to see how they are working and advise thd best.

Thd only people that the above doesn't apply to are stubborn stupid people.

Sorry for any offence, but I just don't get why people try put square pegs in round holes.

Want a key system?? Buy a crap Alcatel.

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

joshsullivan:

1. Create a HG, with VM
2. put only an analog phone in the HG. It can actually be any phone type (digital if you want), key is that there must be an actual phone attached (otherwise call will go immediately to VM). I use an analog phone with the ringer off, leave it hidden in the phone room somewhere.
3. point ICR at the HG
4. add Hxxxx source numbers to all users who need to see the HG VM on their MWI's
5. assign line appearances to users for the same lines which target the HG via the ICR.

The effect is that the users only see their line appearances alert, once the no answer timer expires, the caller goes to VM and the MWI's lite up. The users DON'T see calls coming in on both LA's and CA's, as they aren't actually in the HG targetted by the ICR. This removes one source of confusion related to using LA's on the IPO.

Because the ICR targets a HG, you can do all the usual trickery involving time profiles, AA/SC/Phantom/HG/buttons stuff you'd usually do to control afterhours callflows etc.

GB

I have this working at several customers but I have never had to actually plug a phone into the analog port.

APSS - ACIS - ACSS

You don't need to with analogue phones, the system can't tell if one is there or not it just rings regardless :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back