Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract data from one table to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlakyJake

Programmer
Oct 7, 2003
GB
I have a global table that houses a huge text import. I now want to extract some of that data based on a query into another table to do some work on it.

What is the best way to do this?

Use an append query.You can specify what records you want to append,what table to append to and what criteria is to be used

could this be a new table? ie created through the append rather than creating initially?

thanx

no,if you want to create a new table you would use the make table query,an append query will only add new records to an existing table.
to create a append query i first create a select query with
all the fields and criteria that i need
Then on the query menu bar you can change the query to an append query,you will be prompted to give the name of the table that you want to add the records to.Then all that needs to be done is select which field(s) in the table you want to store your new records
You can do the same sort of thing for a make table query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back