Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting Video - Outlet File has NO VIDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrostic

Technical User
Jul 10, 2003
US
This is only a problem i've been having recently and i don't know why. I will edit my video, go to File> Export Timeline> Movie and then Start and the exporting goes fine and then the outlet file has Audio but no Video.

I already checked the Project Settings and both Export Video and Export Audio are checked. the file type is Microsoft DV AVI. the Video compressor is Microsoft DV (NTSC). I've never heard of anyone having this problem so i'm worried that little help will be available.

Anyone?

Do you see video when you preview?

Have you tried outputting a movie with different settings, say Quicktime?

Does this happen with all video you edit?

If not, what are the properties of the offending clips?

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Yes, there is video when i preview.

I have tried numerous different settings, i don't believe i've tried quicktime yet though.

and this is happening on all of the videos that i've tried to export in the last week.

You can also try, when you export to a movie, to simply load an export profile. It might be that you accidentally wonked a setting and loading a profile will wipe it out (one hopes) and replace it with a known good collection of export settings.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

how do i load an export profile? i've never heard of anything like that

and by the way, i just tried quicktime and that doesn't work either :(

Okay, from the timeline, you press CTRL-M to make a movie, right? Then you see a screen that allows you to choose certain settings. Look around on that screen for two buttons: "Load" and "Save" (or something like that).

Those are profiles.

Depending on your video output (AVI/Quicktime/MPEG) chosen, you'll be offered a bunch of different profiles.

Have you changed your capture method since the last time it worked?

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

my capture method is the same as it has always been, to my knowledge. and my Profile is the same as it has always been as well, which is DV - NTSC Standard 32 kHz

Have other people verified that your resultant files have no video?

Have you considered reinstalling Premiere, Quicktime, etc.?

Are you able to view Quicktimes and animations from the past that you knew worked well, or from third parties?

I'm running out of ideas, sorry.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Hi Astrostic
so according to you, you can listen audio but no video of that exported file, so which media player you use for viewing the file. is this the latest versio. if not update it. some time its a old codec problem that stop you to view your video.

Akash

Oooh, now that's a good question! If you export to an AVI and then re-import that AVI into Premiere, do you see video on the newly imported clip?

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

I play my AVI files in Windows Media Player. However, after exporting, a window monitor pops up in Premiere with the outlet file ready to play, and that doesn't have video either. I have Premiere 6.5, and this problem was occuring before i updated from 6.0 to 6.5

I will try your suggestions

ok,i just restarted my computer, opened Premiere, started a new project with DV - NTSC Standard 32kHz as the Preset. I plug my video camera into the Firewire and then captured a random 9 second clip from the tape that was in the camera. No frames were dropped. i then dragged that clip into the timeline, saved the project, and exported the project as a movie with the File Type as Microsoft DV AVI, with the Video compressor set as Microsoft DV (NTSC), the Audio Rate set at 32000 Hz, and the "Export Video" and "Export Audio" buttons were both checked. I exported it, and then tried to play the file in Windows Media Player (I updated it less than a month ago) and there was no video. I then started a new project in Premiere with the same presets and imported the exported file and it still did not have video. ugh, this is insane! i don't see why the video would just start dissappearing. it never used to do this!

I have the exact same problem.

I saw a note by another reviewer that this problem was specific to the source files and it went away if trying out other video .mov files and so he went around it by converting his captured files to .mov and then exporting.

I guess I'm going to try that too.

I struggled with the exact same problem. Since this is a very basic problem it had to do something with my system and not Premiere itself. All other .avis worked fine except for the one that I had captured using my Sony digital camcorder.

Uninstalling my divx/xvid codec pak fixed the problem. Some conflict with it. Now things work beautifully in Premiere.

Is anyone in the forum an expert on Codecs and export formats?

I've got to grips with most of the basics of Premiere and DV movie making but am still very confused about what are the best formats and codecs to use to use for any given desired outcome.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this confusing but I can't find any good guidance anywhere.

There's a free holiday in the UK and as much beer as you can drink for the chap or chapess who can come up with a quick no nonsense guide. OK, MAYBE THAT'S GOING A LITTLE TOO FAR BUT I'D BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL.

Cheers!
Roger.

Hi Roger,

I'm waiting on approval of an FAQ answering exactly that. I'll let you know when it's posted.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

Astrostic did you ever figure out your problem? Because I am having the same one. To the best of my knowledge nothing has changed.

no, my problem has not been fixed. however, i am getting premiere pro for christmas, and i can only hope that starting with a fresh program will resolve all of my issues.

Astrostic, I figured out my problem which sounded exactly like yours. I do not know what you are using for vid. capture but I am using a Winfast TV 2000 XP expert tuner card. I finally figured out that my video was always getting captured in the MSYUV codec. I figured out how to change it to Sony DV codec and now Premiere works fine. You can check your video compression by going to Premiere File, Get properties of, thats not exactly how but you will see it under File and lower than Export. I hope this is able to help you out.

ok, i figured out part of it, i've had this same problem, and switched to exporting just the workspace, rather than the entire project, and it almost works, the only thing wrong it that the first videoclip i have on the timeline still only has audio, very strange, so what im going to try now is to just insert a random clip and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back