Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer lockup at Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2002
GB
Every time I boot up ...Win 98 starts up but I immediately get an Explorer error 'This program has caused an illegal operation and will be shutdown....'
I can close the Explorer fault and can move the mouse cursor but I cannot do anything else. No progs will open and when the cursor is moved over the start menu bar it turns to an hour glass and I cannot open Start.
Nothing happens when I use ctrl alt del and the only way to shutdown is by the power switch.
I have re-installed windows to no avail and exactly same thing happens again.
I am not sure wether this could be more of a hardware problem but as it always Explorer I thought I would try this forum first.

If you are in a situation to do so, I'd try wiping the system and starting again. This will then eliminate any hardware errors. Windows is notorious for re-installs... sometimes they'll fix the error, sometimes they won't, but a re-install certainly doesn't copy over all of the files in the OS. An fdisk is the only way to go :eek:)

If you aren't in a situation to fdisk, try running a program like PC Check from a boot disk. This will tell you if there are any problems with the memory/processor etc - the processor in fact being my initial suspision when I read your post.

Good luck, hope this helps

Susie

Thanks for the info:

I have just requested a trial copy of PC Check and will give that a try before I go the whole hog and format.
I forgot to say I have put another HDD on the system to see if it had any probs and that booted OK... so although far from conclusive... it looks like a prob with the HDD.

I had exactly the same symptoms back in the summer with my son's PC. After spending hours scratching my head, checking bits of HW in another PC, I reformatted and cured the problem.

Sometimes it's the only way to go.

Good luck. Regards
Phil

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the answers we give are helpful to you. Without your feedback we don't know if the answer was correct.

Looks like a Fdisk, Format then !!
Unfortunately havent got any of the original disks that came with PC as it is a handmedown .... so not looking forward to searching for drivers.
I got an evaluation copy of PC Check and it didnt find anything wrong with the hardware.... although eval copy dosent do most of the checks. Thanks once again for info...

Many Thanks and Best Regards
Jackmeticler

Jack

Before you do that, it's worth trying to re-install the OS over the existing by installing from either DOS or from CD-ROM support. There are a couple of things that you'll need to do first. On BOOT press DEL to get in BIOS. Change BOOTUP ORDER to D:\ first and then any other drive after. With the WIN98 CD in the D:\ drive. Select SETUP and take it from there.

If that doesn't work, try BIOS with BOOTUP ORDER A:\ first and then any other drive with a WIN98 STARTUP DISK in floppy drive. That will load options for a reinstall. One of them will probably work and it's marginally better than FORMAT C: Regards
Phil

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the answers we give are helpful to you. Without your feedback we don't know if the answer was correct.

I too have had this exact same problem, and I have since formatted my computer. I have posted a message today, and I need further assistance on this as since formatting I can not reinstall any of windows.

I notice the fdisk was mentioned in the topics above, can some one please refresh my memory on this function.

Regards

Jodi

Jodi

Do you get any error messages when booting up?
If u do, cud u let us know what they are.
As for Fdisk, the following link will help A word of warning, you will lose any existing data on your HDD when using FDISK.

Phil

I have already been through that process with no luck.
Many thanks for info though.

Regards
Jackmeticler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back