Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Explorer.exe hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

clayton74

Technical User
Apr 17, 2002
GB
Hello All
I have a problem with explorer.exe, when opening windows explorer a couple of times it hangs and takes an eternity to display the drives. The same happens when I use run and navigate to drives that way (i.e \\home\g).
If I stop and restart the process it will work OK again for another couple of times and then the same happens again.
Any help would be appreciated as it is driving me up the wall

This could be because of an old or invalid mapped drive in My Computer. Check they are all valid and disconnect any which are no longer used.

To be sure you could also scan the registry for the mapping you have disconnected and remove any entries it finds.

Thanks.

819017 - Long Delay Before Files Appear in My Computer in Windows XP

Also see how it goes if you switch off anti virus software for a few moments.

Update your video drivers.

Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease (Q310419)

HOW TO: Set Performance Options (Q308417)

819101 - Temporary Decline in Performance Occurs When You Right-Click a File or Folder in Windows Explorer

Someone I work with had this problem on their laptop.

Laptop booted up and only displayed the background.

No desktop items or the windows start bar appeared.

However they could do Ctl+Alt+Del to bring up the task manager.

After looking around the net for possible solutions, I decided to copy the explorer.exe file from my PC on to a USB stick and copied it via the task manager.

Hey presto desktop appears. And one complete running laptop.

It turned out he downloaded a "False" registry cleaner.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back