Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experience with new J Series Phones 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dibthree

Technical User
May 3, 2006
US
About to turn up a new site in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone have any experience on the J series phones and what they think?

Trying to decide between using our goto 9608Gs or going with the new J series (probably the J169)?

I like them just fine. There's some talk on here about difficulties getting them connected, but I've not had issues (unlike my first attempt at a k175, yikes!).

From a user standpoint they are identical in functionality to the 9608/11. The B&W J169 looks fine though the lack of a Bluetooth module can be disappointing.

- Qz

Very easy to install, with DHCP scope options a piece of cake, or enter the fileserver ip adress manually.
The phones responds slow on keypresses sometimes but the phone works well.

Support forums are where people bring problems - so yes, everything you've seen about the new XXX product will always be biased towards "they don't work". If you just count the number of J169/J179 issues I would say they've either been remarkably trouble free so far or there aren't many out there yet.

The main problem when they do occur seems to be people thinking they are an exact replacement for their existing 9600s, so they can just plug them in without changing anything, ie. they will just use the existing settings file with no changes.

I've seen some of the problems with slow responses, especially coming back from screensaver, but nothing fatal.

If the number of 9600 End-of-Sale notices I read are a clue, I would say get used to them quick.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

Sizbut the way you said it helped me to decide. I will give them a shot on this site and report back how it went.

I assume they will pick up the call-server IP Address via LLDP just like the 9600s?

@dibthree - The J169 uses SIP software on IPO 11 instead of H323. Read the documentation and keep the autoprovisioned settings file.

Thanks. I will lab it out this week to make sure the turnup goes smooth.

LLDP is an industry standard protocal so I will be very surprised if it doesn’t work.

I've had a number of problems with the J169/J179 phones for a number of customers.
I have 3 SR open with Avaya that after over a month and a half still not provided a fix, Avaya have acknowledge all three SR are bugs etc, but no fix.

It would be helpfull to share your experience and tell shortly about the issues you have reported.

That would be good info.

What are the issues reported in those SR’s?

Oen more remark about the stand of the J179 phones. There are little rubber foots on them and during unpacking they tend to fall off.
I have lost some which make the phone unstable on the desk and I could not find the rubber pieces.
Just something to keep attention to.

i think they are something that rhymes with Barry White.

the J129/139 are more or less featureless.

HA,,,HA,,,,i was a bit slow catching on to that..[flush]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back