Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Expanding a MICS KSU 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoneman1981

Technical User
Aug 16, 2009
US
One of my now retired coworkers installed a MICS for a customer in 2002. DR5 software SP:30BKG02 NAT. The system has been bullet proof for over 10 years. However the customer has now out grown the original KSU configuration of 8 caller ID lines, 32 digital extentions (T7316 and T7208 series phones) and 8 analog station ports. I have been away from the MICS product for a couple of years and I am a little rusty. I need to add 4 more digital stations and 4 more CO lines. Is there any reason why I cannot simply remove the existing 2 port fiber card and replace it with a 6 port fiber card, reconnect the existing analog station module and connect a new M0X16 module and new M12X0 module with one CI card? Thanks in advance.

phoneman1981 said:
Is there any reason why I cannot simply remove the existing 2 port fiber card and replace it with a 6 port fiber card, reconnect the existing analog station module and connect a new M0X16 module and new M12X0 module with one CI card?

No, there is not.

What you are about to do looks fine to me:

[ul]
[li]Disconnect the ASM (Analog Station Module) from the 2-port fiber expansion cartridge.[/li]
[li]Replace the 2-port fiber expansion cartridge with a 6-port fiber expansion cartridge.[/li]
[li]Connect the ASM to the 6-port expansion cartridge (in the first port from the bottom).[/li]
[li]Connect the new SM (Station Module) to the 6-port expansion cartridge (in the second port from the bottom).[/li]
[li]Connect the new TM (Trunk Module) to the 6-port expansion cartridge (in the first port from the top).[/li]
[/ul]

Replacing a 2-port expansion cartridge with a 6-port expansion cartridge is considered an upgrade, so the existing programming will be kept.

Thank you to the both of you. I have installed hundreds of Toshiba Systems and about 70 Nortel Systems 3X8, 616, CICS, MICS and a few BCM50's in my career. None of which were very complicated applications or have required much maintenence since the day they were installed, so I have little experience with upgrades and expansions. Your input is greatly appreciated. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again everyone.

Hello Again: Just wanted to let you know that the expansion went very smoothly. Thanks again for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back