Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exiting the IT Environment 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurliz

Technical User
Sep 4, 2002
US
Here is the premise...
All of us have done extremely well in IT world, but....
We never seem to have had the respect, possilby the power,and even the cash that comes from being the person in charge...and I don't mean in charge of IT.

Our question is this, can you exit the IT world into something else, for example finance and because you are extremly familiar with IT you become a top dog?

Here is a real life example. We know a pair of programmers who used to kill themselves writing software for securites traders. The programmers watched the traders make lots of money and toss a bone to the programmers. As we have heard it from the ex programmers, yes the bone was good and perhaps better than normal but hell if the traders made millions with the software, the programmers got thousands.
So the two guys completely quit IT pooled every nickel they had and then set up a own real live securites brokerage firm. Now they write software for themselves and make the bread based on successful trading strategies.

Anybody else quit IT and go dwon the road to fortune and perhaps eventually fame?

BocaB:

No, he got rich with the help of lawyers.

Today's first support e-mail: My developers would like to upgrade to the latest 7.5.1 version of your software to take advantage of all the new features. Can we continue to use the 3 year old discontinued Runtime environment?

Lawyers, marketing, and "borrowing ideas" from other better software houses. Of course doing the later two requires the services of number one.

Looks like your first support email will be a simple one. "No" comes to mind.

ok well you guys have responded on only one line from my post. The main objective of the post that IT have given jobs to number of peoples. And avarage IT proffetionals are making more money that avarage Machenical engineer / electrical engineer / account / HRC etc.

Atleast in south east asia. And I am happy that i am in IT.

And avarage IT proffetionals are making more money that avarage Machenical engineer / electrical engineer / account / HRC etc.
Not in the US. Recent Engineer graduates have a better starting salary than Computer Science graduates by around $12000/yr.

I don't know what happens after 10-15 years, but I suspect that the best CompSci people would be making the same as an average Engineer (just a guess). The average CompSci people are probably still about $12000 behind the Engineers.

Chip H.

In India only Managment students ( MBA ) gets more starting salary than IT professionals.

Most of the other engineering graduates are also diverting towards IT. But this is all becouse that many jobs available in India for IT.
The recent survey says "In Six years india produce number of engineers = Population of Austrelia

What is should read is that they will produce the number of perople with engineering degrees, qualified or not. I have to work with so many outsourced IT people from India that should be allowed to touch a mouse. I have several Indian co-workers, ang you should here the conversations when thye have to deal with this paper "engineers." I wish I understood what they were saying :).

The conversations start in English, but as our engineer gets more and more frustrated, he starts using Hindi or Urdu and the pitch gets higher.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back