Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Connection Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data67

MIS
Dec 10, 2001
US
Hi! We have about 100+ users using Microsoft Outlook 2000 on Exchange. For about 2 months now, we have been having problems with about 4 to 6 of these users.

For some reason their outlook does not open and they get a message that "Microsoft Exchange Server is not available.....". This happens on 2 Macintosh machines and rarely on a PC. Usually it is the Macintoshes. To work around this I have to stop and re-start the EXCHANGE server services and the user can get to their e-mail.

I have tried to make sure that their is nothing wrong with the cable, NIC card, host files, and I can also successfully ping the exchange server from the troubled Macintosh or PC. I have tried to call some consultants (charging $120/hr!) to help me resolve this issue and they were not much help.

Can someone please help?

Thanks,

Data

The DNS setting look OK. The hosts file is also setup correctly.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your posts guys.

Data

Have you filled in the "Search domains" in your TCP/IP settings on your Macs?

I had put in our domain name (abc.com) in the search domains field. I don't know if that is the right format. Should I use abc.com or just abc?

Thanks,

Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back