Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel.exe has generated errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecarter

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2002
US
Hey all,

We have a user who cannot open an Excel 2000 document on his PC. have tried different PC's and the same occurs. Except on an Excel 2002 (XP) machine, where the document loads fine and without error.

The document was orginally made in 2000 (i'm guessing someone has opened it in XP before I started investigating, but can't be sure)

It contains pivot tables and macros but won't even pen on Excel 2000.

Any ideas, other than installing Excel 2002?

Many Thanks

Im pretty sure 2002 xp has an option to save the file as a 2000 version file, you can try that and then see if the older version ill open it.

Thanks for the info, The file is saved in Excel "Microsoft Excel Workbook" format. I am under the impression, thsi should work across the Office versions (even in 97)

However, I have also created a copy and this is saved in "Microsoft Excel 97 - 2000" format and the same problem occurs.

Any other ideas, anyone!?

Thanks

If you were to take the file off site and then try to open it (e.g. on your home computer)

Does it work there?

You might have a corrupted file, or there might be problems with the file itself.

Can you open a new document and edit it, save it and open it somewhere else? or is it specific to this document?

I haven't taken the file off site. As it works on my Office XP computer. It fails to load only on Office 2000 computers.

Excel opens and other files open on both PCs running Office XP and Office 2000.

This file is quite complex with several macro's and a pivot table. I am concentrating on backward compatibility issues between Excel xp and 2000. Haven't found much yet though!

Lee

How large is the file? is it possible to have any sensitive data removed and email it to me?

I have excel 2000, i am keen to look at this problem as a customer has a similar problem.

Hey, Thanks for the input. This is now solved.

I can't explain why it opened in XP and crashed in 2000, but I opened in XP and performed a "save as" gave it a new file name and saved it in the original location.

My problem on the Office 2000 machine, was that even though Excel the application was shut down, in processes on task manager, there was still several excel.exe open.

Excel.exe being open was not the cause though, as I tried and failed on every Office 2000 PC.

Perhaps Excel XP has some sort of error recovery tool built in?

Thanks again, for all your time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back