Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel.exe Has Generated Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cking2

Technical User
May 16, 2002
US
I have a user whose Excel 2000 application will not open. He gets an error message of "excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed, an error log is being created". All other office applications seem to work fine. The weird part is that if I log on with my userid, Excel works fine. This user has Office 2000 Premium SR-1. I have tried completely reinstalling Office and Service Packs. The error message persists. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

cking2

Have a look at this FAQ: faq68-1371. I would suggest trying to load Excel without any add-ins for this user. It sounds like there might be something in the XLStart directory or something in their personal.xls file.

If Excel works using the /automation switch, then move all the files in XLSTART out and replace them one by one until the error occurs again.

You'll know which file is to blame and can deal with it.

If it works fine when you log on, the problem is with the user profile, you need to replace it.

I tried starting Excel using the /automation and still would not open. Recreating the user profile did solve the Excel problem, but I had to reinstall almost all of the 3rd party applications because they no longer worked. After doing that, everything seems to be OK. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back