Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Event 119 and 7000: qic117 errors on WinNT 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgwillard

MIS
Jun 21, 2001
US
I have been having trouble with a SCSI attached tape library (Exabyte EZ17). It worked fine for a couple of months, then the server shut itself down, and the tape library won't register correctly now.

In the server's Event Viewer, I have two messages:
- Event ID: 119 "The description for Event ID(119) in Source (qic117) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s):...
- Event ID: 7000 "The qic117 service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the device specified."

In Control Panel>Devices, qic117 shows as "Automatic", but not started.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Also, how can I decipher the codes at the bottom of a message in the Event Viewer? I'm sure those letters and numbers mean something, but who knows what.

Thanks so much for taking time to help me out!

Whe you power up the server is the device listed on POST as a detected SCSI device???

I just read this... this exactly describes what has happened to our external SCSI attached tape drive (SDAT S11000). It was working fine, and last Friday it failed to complete a backup, and then I saw that it was shown 'offline' in the device configuration of Seagate Backup Exec.. I was unable to make it online, so I deleted it with the hope of being able to recreate it, but I cannot. It is seen upon boot, it even runs with NTBackup, but will not be seen or installable again with the Seagate BackupExec program... the Backup failed to complete with NTBackup as well, it was 'aborted' (not by me or any human here)during the Verification step. I am suspecting a virus. Friday I also received an alert from McAfee that said "you may need to update your virus dat files".. which I did not need to do, they were up to date.

Any further comments on this situation would be very much appreciated.

JJones

Well, I wish I could offer some advice. I ended up deleting the qic.vxd file and restarting the server. That seemed to take care of it. I think I had to set up the backup device again. I know this took me about a week to troubleshoot, and the solution was sort of a fluke. I was trying so many things, and I didn't write it all down. I wish I could help more.

The same event as the orginal poster hsa occured to me also. On a Compaq server with a SCSI 35/70 the drive for what I assumed failed. I received the replacement and now I am getting the:

- Event ID: 119 "The description for Event ID(119) in Source (qic117) could not be found. It contains the following insertion string(s):...
- Event ID: 7000 "The qic117 service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the device specified."

Was anyone able to isolate the issue?

I found this info in reference to error 7000:

Errors:
- "The system cannot find the device specified." - A.G. This error occurs when a hardware device was removed without removing the drivers as well. The service reported vary depending on the hardware.
- "The service did not start due to a logon failure." - A.G. We encountered this message when a server is restarted and the password for some service accounts have been changed without updating the service properties.
- "The system cannot find the file specified." - A.G. This event may occur when a service was not uinstalled properly (not removed from the service database). The Service Control Manager is trying to start the service but the executable is not there. Remove the entries for the service from the registry.

I experience the same problem with IBM Netfinity server. My backup drive works fine for almost a year till recently. I am getting the same error "Event ID 119" and "Event ID 7000".

Does this error happens to anyone that has recently apply some security patches from Microsoft??

Would greatly appreciate if anyone could help solve this problem. Thanks!!

We have experienced Event Id 7000 and it was because we had a file named program in the root of c. After removing that file the services started up fine. Also if you placed quotes around the imagepath value in the registry for the service experiencing the problem this also corrected the issue.

I also experience this exact same problem on my DL380 under NT4.0. QIC117 Events 119 and 7000. Can anyone (Compaq!) please help?

Hi, I am experiencing a similar problem with a compaq 1600 server ... I also get those same error messages, but my problem is that the scsi tape drive works fine With NT backup, but not with Veritas Backup Exec! It detects the drive, says it installs the driver, but it doesnt - when you go to media/devices there are no drives installed??? Tried almost everything I can think of... anybody have any ideas?

Its 9pm local time Christmas Eve, and I have just started a 70GB backup. Why? It the QIC117 again.

After a full day of trying to rectify the problem, I uninstalled Backup Exec from our Compaq Proliant ML570 server (running NT4 sp6a), and pushed Remote Agents onto it. I spent the day barking up many wrong trees.

* POST could see the DAT Autoloader on the reboot
* Backup Exec could see it under the Device Configuration Wizard.
* When trying to run a backup job, however, Veritas reported it offline.

I also experienced the following Errors
Event ID: 7026 "The following boot start or system start drivers failed to load: cpqsdm, dlttape-VRTS, sonysdx-VRTS"
(the DLT driver was installed for a DLT drive before we swapped it out for the Sony Autoloader)

cpqsdm is the "Compaq SCSI DEVICE Monitor"

I couldn't detect the drive under "Tape devices" under Control Panel either.

The Autoloader was functioning perfectly until last night when we upgraded Backup Exec from 8.5 to 8.6.
Has anyone else that has experienced the QIC117 problem done the same upgrade?

I uninstalled the veritas drivers, and rebooted the server. the error stating cpqsdm failed still remained. I thought it was a problem with the Compaq drivers so I spent the afternoon updating all the server, scsi, and foundation agents (still no joy)

I have no idea why this problem occurs, however I suspect the problem occurred when installing 8.6 over 8.5 I selected "Use Veritas Drivers" when I was already using older Veritas Drivers.

When I return to work in the new year I will remove the QIC117.vxd file, the Remote Agents, and then install Backup Exec 8.6 as a clean install.

I will post you my results.

I had the same issue with backup exec, on a different server other than Compaq.

My solution had to do with the password was changed on the NT server. After the server was rebooted, backup exec did not reconize the server.

This is because the password was changed, you would need to update the service properties.

I also experienced the following error, after I have uninstalled Veritas Backupexec 8.6

Event ID: 7026 "The following boot start or system start drivers failed to load : cpqsdm.

PLEASE HELP ME.. :0)

Regards
Kenneth

I also experienced the following error, after I have uninstalled Veritas Backupexec 8.6

Event ID: 7026 "The following boot start or system start drivers failed to load : cpqsdm.

PLEASE HELP ME.. :0)

Regards
Kenneth

Equip- Compaq DL380, Windows 2000 Server- Backup Exec 8.5, 2 drive tape library 15 slot. I have found a very interesting bug with NT/2000. We lost major performance after a reboot with no apparent changes. I reset the SCSI ID's on the library, 2000 re-recognized the drives and poof- All fixed! I had several Compaq Engineers on the phone that were completely baffled by this but it worked.

This is the error I was getting in my System event log:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
cdlt8n4i
CPQSDM
Snt4ait

This is a test system with a standalone Compaq DLT8000 and a Sony AIT.

The reason for the error ws an improperly terminated scsi chain. Look at and replace if possible your scsi terminators.

I also experienced the following error, after I have installing a licesenced version of Veritas Backupexec 8.6 after using the trial version.

My Server locked up and had to reboot. After reboot I started getting the multitude of errors. Error 7023, 7000 119

Error 7026 The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: cdlt8n4i

Error 7000: The qic117 service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the specified device.

I've tried to deleted the qic.vxd file as previous comments suggested, but cannot locate it on the server using the find command. The server is brand new and the scsi cables are terminated properly.

I cannot detect the tape device in the control panel, but can load the driver for it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ran into the same problem with an NT 4.0 server, here is what fixed it: In the Backup Exec devices tab, right-click the device, choose properties, choose configuration, uncheck "enable Device for Backup Exec", then check it again, and your tape drive should show back up as online. Software this expensive should not be that buggy....

I've got the same error in Backup Execs inability to
use the dat tape device.
It did work, so i suggest its not a hardware problem.

I'm using an IBM Netfinity xSeries Server
with NT4 Server (SP6) and Veritas Backup Exec 8.0

If I start MS Backup (from Administrativ Tools) there is
the message: a tape device detected, but not responding.

Veritas Backup Exec has listed the Tape Device, but shows
always empty or bad media and is unable to do any operation
(eject, inventory, label ...)

If reinstalled Backup Exec a few times. I've also installed
the sdat4.sys instead of using Winnts native 4mmdat.
I had the qic117 event too, but it's disabled now and
i've tried some of the posted tips.

It still doesn't work!

Has somebody a hint/fix/link?

I'd be VERY thankfull!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back