Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error installing ODBC driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

sekermestrovich

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
Trying to install the Visual Foxpro ODBC driver and getting an error before the installation even begins that tells me to "click the back button and reenter the user information". Although I already have the user info in the correct fields it still continues to tell me this and alts the installation. I've stopped services for NAV and others that may be causing this problem but nothing helps.

I'm trying to install on Windows NT SP6// running IE 6.0.. I need this installed before Feb 2, 2004 due to a new online registration program we'll be running starting that day.

Thanks
Christie

Christie,
Make sure you are trying to install this logged in as (at least) a local administrator. If you are a "regular" user, you won't be able to install these system wide used files.

Rick

Thanks, I am logged in as Administrator. Any other suggestions?

In the past, when I've needed to add the ODBC driver, I found it easier to install VFP on the server (with the ODBC) and then uninstall it!

If you are using ODBC - don't forget to make sure your app turns off 'background fetching' or, with more than one page to serve, your machine will produce unexpected results!

Good Luck

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Thanks Griff, but I can't get the VFP driver installed. That is my problem. How do you turn off 'background fetching'?
Any others?

sekermestrovich

I meant install the whole of the VFP development environment long enough to get the ODBC on board.

I have, not recently, seen the install spoilt by
having files set to 'read-only' if you look in winnt\system32\drivers and check any files beginning
VFP.

The background fetching is in an option on the ODBC DSN interface or you can modify your connection string in .asp to read :
Code:
	Session("ConnectionString") = "Driver={Microsoft Visual Foxpro Driver};SourceType=DBC;SourceDB=d:\mypath\mydatabase.dbc;Exclusive=No;BACKGROUNDFETCH=NO;"

HTH

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back