Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ericsson 4223 phone displays fastly dying 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owlball

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
BE
Hi there,

Our customer got roundabout 5000 Ericsson 4223 phones connected to their MX-One. Since last months lots of telephones are suddenly dying, at least 300 did,and the number is growing. Displays are fading to black- or with black stripes. In some cases after reconnecting the phones to their cords no display at all is shown anymore. Strange thing is that these phones are operating normally like they're able to handle incoming and outgoing calls. Anyone experienced/solved this problem? Phones are all manufactured before 2008 (all phones are built in 2007).

Please let me know if you can advise.

Best regards,
Michel

I believe their was an E/// service advise about this issue, not sure though. Please check with your Aastra channel partner.

/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Hi daddy thanks for your answer. Could you please tell me what is an E/// advise?

Is this is sort of notification for problems with telephones within a sort of manufacturers date range?

Thanks
Michel

Reply,

service advice below released for 4223 phones, doesnt really help anyone ... we have same issue that displays become faulty on phones and also key D lights up and phone will not operate anymore...

2007-10-12 - Extended warranty period on DBC 223 and DBC 222 with quality issues

Ericsson has identified an increasing number of returns that are diagnosed to be completely non responsive (dead).

The investigation has shown that a vast majority of the returns are related to specific batches of a component delivered in production July 2006 and up to end of October 2006.

For phone produced after this period there is a much lower failure rate.

Solution

88/0062-FCP 107 242 Uen Rev. B

The warranty period will be extended with twelve (12) months on all DBC 223 and DBC 222 that have a production date between 2006-07-01 up to 2007-06-25.

Only telephones that are diagnosed to be completely non responsive (dead) will be accepted and the partner/customer will be invoiced for phones with no fault found or with other kind faults.

If your Dialog 4223 (DBC223 01/01001 R4A , DBC223 01/02001 R4A) Dialog 4222 (DBC 222 01/01001 R2G/R2H or DBC222 01/02001 R2G/R2H) has problems according to the above description please follow the normal routine for Advanced SWAP and always refer to: Extended warranty on DBC 22x, Dead phones.

Mdevo, thanks for your reply.

I will check firmware and manufacturers dates. I knew there were faulty batches back in 2005 but not that it occured again later on.

Many thanks
Michel

E/// stands for Ericsson (is their logo...)

Cheers,
Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Hi All,
we are also experiencing same problem with DBC 223.First faulty lot we received 400 out of 1000 DBC 223 in 20070221/STU8B829934 batch,and we got replaced few but in second lot also we got few faulty DBC223. I think we have to inform this to vendor to take appropriate action on it.

I`m aware of this problem and E/// advice, but it doesn`t make sense, cause in my case even the newly shipped 4223s are dying.
It is true that the new ones die in less quantity, but that is horrible from advertising point of view. The 3xxx series newer had any problems what so ever (you could even slam them to the ground).
AFAIK, no clever solution for this.
It would be good if E/// could provide LCD as a spare part, so it can be replaced before whole phone is dead.

This case should be hanles throgh Aastra EPI...

///doktor

We just got response from Aastra regarding this issue.

" The issue with some displays on the Dialog 4223 is related to humidity. Most common faults are direct short circuits, leakage current and corrosion. A short circuit is normally noticed directly as it happens. A leakage current is often tricky to identify as the faults can be vague, vary and fluctuating. Corrosion can take long time to develop, it can happen in visible places but it can also be happening inside components and there by invisible to ocular inspections.

Over time we have taken a number actions to improve the production process. In parallel we have during a rather long time been thoroughly monitoring faulty phones coming back in order to verify impact of the actions taken. We have now reached a situation where we no longer can see any
traces of the original humidity problems. We do of course continue to monitor returned phones".

Furthermore involved phones will be handled through their support program one by one.

Any thoughts regarding this conclusion?

I have cca. 50 defective telephone dbc223, serTU8B273...(20061128). All of them lcd dead.
If anyone know where are I buy the lcd as spare part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back