Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enabling Java 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmystie

Instructor
Dec 9, 2005
Hi!

I use Internet Explorer and it cannot display Java applets. I've tried looking in Preferences where to enable that but i cannot find it. Can you folk please help me? Thanks in advance.

In Internet Explorer, go to Tools -> Internet Options.

1) On the Security tab, make sure Internet is highlighted at the top. Click "Default Level" in the lower-right (if it's greyed out, then that means it's already selected). This sets your security settings to "Medium".

2) On the Advanced tab, scroll down part way to the section called Microsoft VM. Enable the Java Console setting, and hit OK at the bottom.

Note: If you have a section called Java (Sun) listed right above Microsoft VM, then that means you also have Sun's version of Java installed. Sometimes, you have to disable it (uncheck it) to get some sites to work correctly.

3) Close and reopen Internet Explorer.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

It's my understanding that MS has discontinued their VM due to lawsuits from Sun. We're running the Sun java client with few issues.

I think you need to get the Java Plugin for some applets to run properly. If u had installed the Java Runtime or The Java Development Kit, u'd have had the plugin installed too.

The MS/Sun Java lawsuits were settled a couple of years ago (2003 I think). Microsoft is allowed to distribute their JVM, but with restrictions. We still install the MS version where I work because there are a couple of applications that don't always work correctly the the Sun version.

Hi cdogg!

I've done what u said but it still doesn't work. I don't know if i have the Java Runtime. Where can i get it?

Thanks

After installing it, you might still have issues. Make sure you only have Java (Sun) enabled in IE's advanced settings (step 2 above). Sometimes having both Microsoft VM and Java (Sun) checked will cause problems.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

After installing it, you might still have issues.

Ummm.... I dont know about any peculiar issues. But applets have always worked for me when the JDK was installed. You can find the JDK here :
The advantage of JDK over the Runtime is that with the JDK you could develop Java apps as well. If you are jus a user and not a developer then the Runtime should suffice for you.

This person is new to getting Java enabled in the browser. Somehow I doubt the development version is necessary.

In addition, there are sites out there that won't work with Sun's version of Java enabled. I don't recall any specific examples on the net, but the company I work for has several sites on their intranet that are this way. Two work only with Microsoft's VM enabled, and one works with only Sun's Java plugin enabled. I'm not proficient in Java to know why, but I mentioned what to try above just in case the problem persists.

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back