Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Employee arrival and departure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2001
US
All
At my last company, it (and is) standard practice to back up the user data on the workstation or laptop of a departing employee and then wipe the machine's drive and reinstall the OS and apps for the next user of it. At my current company, I've been told it is a waste of time and that we shouldn't bother with such things. So naturally, I thought it worth raising on tek-tips: where do your thoughts and/or your company's policies fall on the matter?

Important data should be on the network, first and foremost. But you never know what users are going to do. I backup data and the user's e-mail as well. Of course, you should make two backups.

If illegal activity is involved, then do whatever your lawyer says.

It's always nice to give a new employee a fresh system if you can't give them a new one.

Unfortunately, I have heard of at least one case of a user having a program on their computer and then being unable to find the install media. In the case, leaving the computer alone was the only way to maintain use of the program.

Wow.

I've never given out the install media to anyone.

I have all install media centrally and can install it remotely when required.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back