Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Embedded or VM Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amriddle01

Programmer
May 2, 2007
GB
VM Pro is much better, but in this case I would tell them to use embedded and spend the money they saved on VM to get some proper lines instead of 12 lines from the 1870's :)

Untitled-1.png

Embedded has almost none options.
VMPro is way better and really worth the money.
Read the docs about the options both have and make your decision.
V

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

VM Pro, and get a PRI instead of 12 analog lines, or at least look into it. Embedded has come a long way, but still no-where close to what you can do with VM Pro, and really do you want the number of messages limited by an SD card that may fail, or a PC hard drive that you can backup through proven methods? It's a no-brainer for me. Oh, and it now can be installed on a Linux box! Save a little loot there if need be.

Totally agree with the PRI recommandation. With 12 channels it should break even or cost less, and is totally worth it.

The main problem with the embedded VM is that it only has 6 channels (if you pay for the 4 extra channels). You have 12 lines, and over 30 active users. Which means that voicemail and autoattendants will often be unavailable for your staff and customers. Forget about it.

Solid-state storage (such as the SD card) is actually less likely to fail than hard drives.

--
A(PS|CI)S-SMEC
IT consultant
Canada / Quebec City area

Solid-state storage (such as the SD card) is actually less likely to fail than hard drives.
Avaya has proven otherwise with all those SD card problems :)
Solid state has come an end but flash cards are not as reliable as a classic hard drive at the moment.

BAZINGA!

I am pretty certain that that they are in terms of hardware (though not as good as actual industrial SSD devices). Apparently the SD card problems people experienced were caused by software bugs, not actual hardware failing.

If backups are a concern I think that's what the second SD card slot is for.

Hard drives too use flash memory chips to store firmware and calibration parameters. A significant fraction of bricked disks can be traced back to flash failure. Then I noticed that in post-2000 hard drives, data that is never rewritten tend to "wear out" over time (in as little as 2-3 years, gets worse with higher operating temperatures). Then on some batches the electronics that control head position gets crazy. Very few mechanical failures actually, outside of abuse.

But yes, hard drive are nice if you want to make sure to have a reason to visit your customers in the next 5-10 years to fix voicemail problems ;-)

--
A(PS|CI)S-SMEC
IT consultant

I have hardrives that are older then some USB sticks i had.

BAZINGA!

Me too. And I also had hard drives that failed faster that the USB sticks did, and so far I don't (yet) have failed SD cards in my collection. That's to the point I now use USB sticks that are actually SD card readers. For multiple reasons USB sticks (especially cheapo ones) can't be trusted.

--
A(PS|CI)S-SMEC
IT consultant

VM pro is much better than Embedded for many reasons

That said looking at the originals posts requirements Embedded would suffice although I would recommend increasing the port count if you intend any form of auto attendant.

Vm pro could always be added at a later date if needed.

Ditch the Analog Lines & get a pri, Here in the UK 8 lines used to be considered the break even point so you may even save some cash there.

I do not Have A.D.D. im just easily, Hey look a Squirrel!

The problem is, embedded voicemail tops at 6 ports, you can't increase above that. And it's really not enough in the first place if autoattendants are to be used during business hours.

I also believe that music / message on hold remove 1 embedded voicemail port when used, even when it comes from the external audio port. Certainly not a "feature".

--
A(PS|CI)S-SMEC
IT consultant

PC hard drives can be solid state also. R6 has proven that the SD card option with embedded is less than reliable. Yes if you use a HD that spins you may have to replace it in 5 years, but in my experience, embedded on certain builds of R6 requires a site visit within a few months to recreate the SD card. If you want cost savings up front go with embedded, but if you want features, reliability and redundancy, get VMPro.

From what I have read on the subject the issues with IPOs and SD cards looked like filesystem bugs, you would probably have experienced them with hard drives as well.

I have read elsewhere that there is a VMPro expansion module in the works? Totally a good idea, too bad it's not there yet.

--
A(PS|CI)S-SMEC
IT consultant

I like it. An external server means a license anyway, + server, + extra space, power and maintenance costs. Does it have its own SSD storage?

--
A(PS|CI)S-SMEC
IT consultant

Either way, you can use a .bat file on a Windows VMPro and back-it up as incremental as you desire. The SD management is far from ideal when compared to the capabilities of a Windows machine, or Linux for that matter.

there is a big difference between SSD and SD card... no comparison with reliability. SD card can and will corrupt. SSD less likely due to CRC checking etc

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back