Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email Encryption Solutions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITJohn3

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2009
US
We have been looking into email encryption solutions and have narrowed it down 2 different companies, ZixCorp and AppRiver.

I am wondering if there is any one out there that can give me real world insight on either of these or if any one can suggest a different solution. Right now we are leaning towards ZixCorp.

I would appreciate anyones thoughts or ideas. Thanks

John Sorensen
Network/Systems Admin

It depends.
What level of encryption do you need?
State secrets? Medical data? Government overthrowing conspiracy?

I mean, ROT-13 is encryption... :)

Tao Te Ching Discussions : Chapter 9 (includes links to previous chapters)
What is the nature of conflict?

733g rapelcgvba

:)

Monkeylizard
Sometimes just a few hours of trial and error debugging can save minutes of reading manuals.

We've actually made a decision today. We've decided to go with ZixCorp. They have more of what we are looking for.

We required to obey Hipaa... so we are in the medical industry.

Zixcorp specializes in my industry and many of our partners use them as there solution. They provide the public keys and act as a message portal for the recipient via a web page hosted and hosted by Zixcorp but with our branding. Pretty much minimizing the crap I got to deal with. Also all encryption will be done at the gate with an appliance they provide and maintain and not at our smtp server. The encryption is policy based and they can even scan 60+ different attachment types.

The pricing is not to bad either and is comparable to others out there that offer close to the benefits. It comes down to about $8000 per year for 3 years.

PLUS NO USER INTERACTION... :)

John Sorensen
Network/Systems Admin

I'm in the medical industry too, which is why I was asking ;-)
And now I even have a suggestion to make the Powers that Be, should we want to go along with that suggestion.. Thanks :)

Tao Te Ching Discussions : Chapter 9 (includes links to previous chapters)
What is the nature of conflict?

>FIPS 140-2

FIPS isn't encryption, it's an accreditation program

As for encryption level it is AES which is Fipps compliant, sorry misread the question

Zix uses different types of encryption depending if both endusers are using zix or if one is and the other is not. The main method they use is escrow encryption where the public keys are stored at their datacenter and the private keys are stored with the enduser or a gateway appliance. If I, the sender, is sending an email to the reciepient, a non ZixCorp client, then the message would be encrypted, sent, then stored at the ZixCorp datacenter and another message is sent in plain text to the recepient notifying him/her that a secure message is waiting. They then login, or create an account with Zix and log into a message portal, branded with our corparate logo's or what ever, via SSL to retrieve the message. Thats it in a nutshell.

John Sorensen
Network/Systems Admin

Sorry this thread turned into an "advertisment", at least after reading over it it looks that way.... this was not meant to be. I am sure there are many other vendors, we just found that this one best suited our needs and they specialize in the medical industry.

John Sorensen
Network/Systems Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back