Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email issues...best way to handle them? 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Howdy folks,

I am Admin for our small office SBS2003 domain (10 users). I have one user that is presenting what I feel might be a problem, but I would like other opinions before I take any action.

I am not the boss, I am the Senior Designer and the person in question is a Junior Designer, so there's kind of a competition between us, but I am clearly the lead revenue producer and a much more experienced worker (as well as the network builder and SysAdmin).

There are two issues I'd like some feedback on:

1. His email signature, on every piece of electronic correspondence, is usually religious and/or political in nature. His current sig is "Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom"

I'm not sure if this is proper on business correspondence, but I don't want to encroach on his "freedom of speech" either. I realize this is a private network and the business has the right to represent itself any way that they choose, but this is an individual that may appear to be speaking for the business.

2. Forwarding, forwarding, forwarding. And not just to office workers, but others, maybe friends, hopefully not customers. The last one was a caricature of Barack Obama entitled "Worth a thousand words". In the caricature, Barack was standing in front of a sign saying "White House" and thinking "Well first off, that sign's gonna have to go" and then a blurb at the bottom saying "THEN THE BIBLE-REMEMBER WHEN I WAS SWORN AS A SENATOR-I USED THE KURAN. THEN THE FLAG-REMEMBER I WON'T SALUTE IT. THEN THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE-REMEMBER I WON'T SAY IT. READY FOR A CHANGE? VOTE DEOMOCRATIC[sic]"

Then there was a logo at the bottom, ACLU, with the "C" represented as a crescent and star, and it says Anti-Christian Lawyers Union and underneath Jihad with a Law Degree.

I found this personally offensive, maybe racist and possibly illegal, and forwarded it to the boss for review. The boss is very non-confrontational, and it's easier (and typical) for him to do nothing.

Am I making a big deal out of nothing? Are there any guidelines for business networks that I could cite as reference?

Thanks as always.

Tony

Users helping Users...

SQLSister said:
A fo ben, bid bont.
"If you want to be a leader, be a bridge."

You must then decide if you want to be a Suspension or Cantilever. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
A fo ben, bid bont.

Between suspension or cantilever? I'd say it's a draw.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

cc}Between suspension or cantilever? I'd say it's a draw.quote said:
You can truss me; I'm over 30[wink].

Nullum gratuitum prandium.
--Sleipinir214

Run
Run like the clapper(s)

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

UPDATE:

The Exclaimer signature has been applied and everyone now has the same, unified signature at the bottom of each email. Everyone has been told to delete any signatures they are now using and use only the Exchange/Exclaimer signature. Compliance is 100%.

There is another, unintended benefit to this, which is everyone now has a professional, unified signature on their emails. While Exclaimer is anything but intuitive, and the manual is even more convoluted, after a total of about 20 minutes (in three or four sessions) of "clicking around" I managed to import our logo into one of their templates and it grabs the rest of the signature information, like job title etc. from the AD info.

So there is a software solution to social problems...at least this one.[smile] I could not have solved this issue without Tek-Tips, and I wish again to thank everyone that contributed.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Woo-hoo, Tony !!! Success ! Congratulations.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
A fo ben, bid bont.

TOny - I've been following this with interested, but haven't posted as I didn't really have more to add.

But, I'm really happy to see that it is all sorted out for you, and without confrentation for anyone.

Tek-Tips is a fab idea, isnt' it?

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Yes indeed, Fee, it's a fab idea!!! And most curiously, the idea (consistent signatures) came from Dollie in this forum but the Exclaimer tip came from tf1 in another forum, the MS Office forum, so it was a hand-in-hand collaboration between forums. All right here.

Plus the unintentional benefits mentioned above. As an aside, anyone considering Exclaimer should know that you're on your own, their support is horrible. I've yet to receive my "email confirmation" to join their forum, it took two weeks for them to even acknowledge that I had downloaded their program. I am going to pitch a fit about their "mandatory" 1-year support with purchase! That said, it's easily understood by just poking around, but I would have loved the opportunity to gain knowledge in their forums about the best way to do what I'm doing. Let's see how long that email confirmation takes!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back