Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Email but no internet explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfie1noakes

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2002
GB
A friend of mine has recently had issues with connecting to the internet. Their son was on the PC when the AVG software picked up the "Tinyproxy" virus. He was asked if he wanted to heal it to which he replied yes. Job done..

Now it may be coincidence, but now this machine will not connect to the internet thru IE7. They also have a laptop which connects thru the same router. This still works and you can see the router by entering the IP address in the browser, on the laptop.

I had a look at the PC in question and worked out the following:

1. Email still works on this machine
2. Internet browsing is completely defunked
3. The PC can still ping external IP addresses
4. I CANNOT get into the router by entering its IP address into the browser
5. I tried to load Firefox onto the machine, but it will not initialise at all. It gets to the point at which it is about to start and then returns an error in connection.
6. I have run some malware removal software and stripped out any dodgy looking files etc.

Im a bit stuck now, as I am sure that something is blocking connection, but I dont know what to remove / look at now to sort the issue. If I could actually get into the router via its IP address it would be a start, but the router is completely blocked form the OS.

Any ideas help etc would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Remove AVG and reinstall it.They had a few updates lately that have pooched surfing.

Ah.. good idea. i did see in the system restore log that AVG had carried out a few big updates..

I will do this and let you know how it goes.

Many thanks

Andy

Uninstalled AVG.. No go. Still no connect to the router.

So.. tried the Winsock XP fixes, resetting the TCP/IP using netsh etc etc.. Still no go.

Restarted in safe mode with networking and then tried the Windows XP Diagnostics.

It came back with a problem with the Winsock Provider Catalog.

now I would have thought that Winsock XP fix would have sorted this out, but obviously not.

Im getting to the point where I am thinking of formating the HD as this is probably easier...

Any other thoughts grealy received..

Cheers

Assuming that you have XP SP2 or more recent, try the command line reset built into windows:
netsh winsock reset catalog

Hi Smah

What I would do it start up in safe mode and run this virus finder, malwarebytes.com. It sounds like you still have a bug floating around in there. Do quick scan and see what that brings up, then do a real scan.

Thanx...Gunny

her easy yet silly idea. remove the device from device manager, scan for changes and see what happens.
could also tak e machine to friends house, see if it connects outside your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back