Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

eMachines. Is this common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xit

Technical User
May 29, 2004
US
Hi All. Received two eMachines in one day, one a W4682 P4 2.6GHZ, the other a W2785 Athlon XP 2700+. Both had dead PSU and both had bad motherboards, is this just a coincidence or a usual problem related to eMachines. Thanks for any input

xit

The power supply problem is far too common. Haven't seen too many M/Bs bad. But I've kind of drifted away from the eMach marketplace in the last year or so.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

As a former retail employee of 2 technical stores - eMachines suck.

In general they run into the most oddest problems, and in the same extention Gateway isn't much better.

emachines do suck.. now about five or six years ago i bought an eMONSTER made by emachine with more robust parts.

this sucker is still kicking.

liz

I have to agree, PS's were really terrible. Knew a person
that went through 3 Emachines in about 4 years and all were ps failures.

Funny thing was, he kept buying them because they were cheap at Costco, which was actually hilarious.

Some learn slower than others, some never do !

I did hear that they finally dealt with this issue in new models as was said in another reply.

It was better to swap everything to a new case/PS than replace the existing PS. The next thing to break was the power up switch, for which there was no replacement.
The motherboards were generic FICs and except for some of the special bezels on the CDs everything swapped with no problems.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I bought a couple of eMachines from PC World a couple of years ago cause i needed them that day - they were cheap - they were crap. You could tell by the way the cases felt light enought to be made from tin-foil. They lasted a while but they've gone to the big skip in the sky already, whereas other PCs purchased have lasted much longer!

HTH
James

My boss picked up a couple e-machines some time ago just because they were cheap.

Cheap is an understatement!

PSU's are garbage. Generic parts. Flimsy cases. Neither one is in service today. Not worth salvaging in our case. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Join the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back