Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Element manager says no cartridge installed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricefd

Technical User
May 8, 2002
US
Hello I've been trying to connect to a BCM 4.0 even with the element manager that I can download from it, I cannot connect via the element manager.
Whether it be element manger or business element manager.
Each time I try I get an error saying does not recognize the device.
It can however validate.
I tried with lower versions of java, directly to the bcm and via modem.

Is there any connection possibilities through the browser, to upload a patch or cartridge for the element manager.

When it says cannot recognize the device it does not see the BCMs IP. Can you ping the IP?

Yes I can ping the ip, I can also validate the bcm.
I can get into the browser and the BCM monitor.
The element manager states that there is no cartridge.

The Element Manager on your BCM may be an older version.With the Element Manager open go to help & about.If your E.M. is not 2.05 or greater than go & get yourself the latest E.M.

I'm using 2.05e.0 build rpmwin502ag12

with the following cartridges installed

Business Ethernet Switch 0.1.0 (JDM version:603b02_01 supports BES1xx/2xx and BES1xxx/2xxx devices) BCM 50 R2 Element Manager Cartridge 3.0.0 (BCM50.2.05e-0) BCM 50 R2 Element Manager Cartridge 3.0.0 (BCM50.2.47-0)

Problem Description
When attempting to connect to Business Communications Manager (BCM) 4.0 systems using a new installation of Element Manager Version 2.44, the target BCM may issue a request to download BCM cartridge BCM200.2.76-0.

In the described scenario after cartridge BCM200.2.76-0 downloads, an information window indicating a "Device login Error" occurs.
Error description: Error Happened: Error Details: MoFObject Factory can not be initialized; Error in Loading MoF Files: java.lang.NullPointerException

Subsequent attempts to connect from the same client PC with Business Element Manager Version 2.44 immediately responds with the same error.

All client PCs that have downloaded Element Manager 2.44 from the BCM at the reporting site exhibit this issue.

Technician and/or partner PC with Element Manager Versions other than 2.44 can connect to the BCM.

Element Manager Version 2.44, does not contain a cartridge for BCM 4.0 and cannot initialize the proper cartridge as there are none available in the application's cartridge library.

This condition is observed when downloading Element Manager Version 2.44 from newly installed BCM 4.0 systems that have the following combination of patches applied:

BCM.R400.SU.Desktop.004-200711
BCM.R400.SmartUpdate.Desktop.005-200801
BCM.R400.SU.System.007-200801

BCM.R400.SmartUpdate.Desktop.005-200801

BCM.R400.SU.Desktop.004-200711

Problem Resolution
Applying an older version of Element Manager cartridge for BCM 4.0 (numerically lower than 76-0) to the affected PC corrects this condition.

1) To download such a cartridge numbered lower than 76-0 for BCM 4.0, go to
Cartridge libraries are maintained for each BCM platform and release.

2) To locate the cartridge folder for the instance of Element Manager on the user's or technician's PC:
a) Right click Element Manager Shortcut, display "Properties" and select Find Target button.
This places Windows Explorer in the "bin" folder for Element Manager where the EM executable (bem.exe) resides.

b) Select Registry folder and open it.
Explorer should now display two folders, "Cartridges" and "Detectors".

c) Open the Cartridges folder and copy the older 4.0 cartridge downloaded earlier to this folder.

3) Close and re-open Element Manager if the application was running during the copy operation and verify connectivity to the BCM.

Could be this one too ...
ISSUE: Unable to connect to a BCM 4.0 using the correct version of Element Manager
RELEASE: BCM 4.0
CR: Q01836426
SYMPTOMS: When trying to access a BCM 4.0 via Element Manager you are not able to connect. You will receive
"unable to determine device type for IP x.x.x.x"
WORKAROUND: See Recommendations.
1. The issue has been identified as a RPM Corruption and systems evidencing RPM corruption will need to have NETS
intervention to recover the RPM database for the reported site.
2. Patch BCM.R400.160-SoftwareManagement has been developed and is available to PREVENT this issue.
RECOMMENDATION:
NOTE: Patch BCM.R400.160-SoftwareManagement should be downloaded and applied to EVERY system to PREVENT
this issue.
If you believe you have a system with any of the symptoms above: please contact Nortel Technical Support (NETS)
organization and open a case. Knova Solution #9834392 is available for diagnosis, technical details, and recovery
methods for NETS.*

This is why it is critical to stay up to date with patches.

-SD-

I have this same issue ongoing right now, I am pulling the log files for Nortel so that they can escalate to Level 2. That description that SD posted previously is what I found originally and that is exactly what it is.

It was suggested to me that installing a system patch before a software patch from the same file is the reason this has happened.
When Nortel escalates to level 2 are they going to telnet in as nnsupport to replace an RPM?
Thank you all for responding my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back