Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easy CD Creator 5 will not detect my CD Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruzan

Technical User
Jul 26, 2002
US
I am running Windows XP Pro on my machine. I have an IOMEGA CD burner. I can write files to the burner with the copy utility that comes with Windows XP and it burns fine. I recently installed Easy CD Creator 5, and downloaded the 5.3.4, and 5.3.4a upgrades from the Roxio website. The website says that the 5.3.4a upgrade is supposed to add drive support for CD/DVD burners that were released after the release of Easy CD Creator 5.3.4. When I try to write to a CD using Easy CD Creator it tells me that no supported storage devices were found. Does anyone have any idea, of what I can do to resolve this issue?

Well, unfortunately Easy CD Creater 5 is about the worst program out there for drive support, especially older burners, like 4x and below. Even newer drives, like one machine we've got has a 24x Sony burner and Easy CD does not support it, so I think it's got B's Recorder Gold on it at the moment. A friend's machine has a Teac 16x and Easy CD doesn't support that one either, he uses Nero instead.

I have Windows XP on my machine. Ever since I dowloaded the updates for Windows XP, Internet Explorer has been locking up on me. When I launch the browser and do a search from MSN home page. Or any search engine. When it displays the results, IE will pop up another window (advertisment)this always locks up. I would have to end task on IE. I tried uninstalling, and reinstalling IE from the Windows XP CD and I still get the same error message. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can stop this from happening?

On the roxio site, there ought to be a list of actual machines that are supported. As dakota mentioned, Roxio's list of supported drives is not all that good. I would advise selecting another burner software package. My experience and subsequent research into Roxio 5.x on a Win XP box lead me to installing Nero (which I am very pleased with)...

yamafopa!

I had the same experience with Roxio. And am also very, very pleased with Nero.

Does anyone have any suggestions for completely removing and signs of CD Creator from XP. I still have remnants that cause an error message everytime I boot.

Thanks,

Pf

I have a Teac 8x8x32 burner and was working perfectly for awhile with Roxio 5. Someday after a couple of months it stopped working and CDRWs would be detected as unwriteable.

Had to uninstall Roxio. Delete the drivers in XP device manager and reset them up. No problems once again.

i had the problem with easy cd -the baloon that comes up when you start, damn annoying - i uninstalled all cd burning software then done the following from MS

search for cdr*.sys files on your hdd
In the Look in list, click Local Hard Drives (C:), and then click Search.
In the right pane of the Search Results dialog box, rename the following files if they are listed:
Cdr4_2K.sys
Cdralw2k.sys

To do this, right-click a file, and then click Rename on the shortcut menu that appears. Rename the .sys file extension to .old, and then press ENTER.
When you are finished renaming the files, close the Search Results dialog box.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Navigate to the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, right-click the UpperFilters value (if it is present), and then click Delete on the shortcut menu that appears. Click Yes on the Confirm Value Delete message that appears.
In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, right-click the LowerFilters value (if it is present), and then click Delete on the shortcut menu that appears. Click Yes on the "Confirm Value Delete" message that appears.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes on the "Confirm Key Delete" message that appears.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes on the "Confirm Key Delete" message that appears.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes on the Confirm Key Delete message that appears.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes on the Confirm Key Delete message that appears.
On the File menu, click Exit.
Restart the computer.

it worked for me - i then installed nero 5, previously my machine would hang when ever it wanted, even when idle, havent had a problem since

I use both Easy Cd & Nero with no problems at all. You must install Easy CD and the update patch without restarting your PC in between these actions. If you install Easy Cd, shut down your PC then install the patch, you may well have problems.

I have them all to include EZCD on my XP Pro box and they all work fine...some better than others. Make sure you did NOT install DirectCD along with the package. If you did, uninstall DirectCD, it reaks havoc with XP

Tony

The statement about DirectCD is correct - you don't want or need it. Do you have the latest version of EZCD that just came out? It eliminates a LOT of the issues with Ver 5.0. Also, I found you need to download the fixes and updates from the Roxio site (when you get your web problem fixed), then uninstall EZCD. Now reboot, reinstall and DO NOT reboot when it tells you to. First, run all of the updates - DO NOT reboot until you are completely updated. That fixed the problems we were having with 5.0 and they haven't come back. On the DirectCD, while you can create CD's in XP without using it, the XP program doesn't want to read CD's made with DirectCD. I have had to install it in some cases for that procedure, just make sure it isn't set to automatically start with Windows. Really do recommend the EZCD 6.0 - it seems to work great. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back