Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

e-mailing selected records

Status
Not open for further replies.

minervadash

Technical User
Jun 14, 2005
US
I have a similar situation as brought up in thread 702-673859. I have created a database with several thousands of records. The database has halted LOTS of papers floating around the office ans what not. I am trying to find a way to e-mail an indiviual record. I have tried creating reports but they always select the first record in the database. I have tried to save the form as a report and got the same outcome. When I tried the print screen button NOTHING happened. Ideally I would like to have a button at the bottom of the form that automatically creates a form ready to be e-mailed. But I am by no means a "wiz" when it comes to this stuff. So I will take what I can get. I have office 2000, if you need to know that. I would be VERY greatful for any help I can get!!!

There are a few things you can do. The "easiest" is just incorporating the record information into the body of the email. You don't get the format of a report but all the information can be sent. If, however, there is a lot of information in each record you can create a report that would display it and attach a snap shot of the report to the email. This, of course, requires the recipient has SnapShot viewer.

You could also create a template in word and merge the information into a new word document, save it and then attach that to an email. This, however, starts getting more complicated.

All these would require some amount of coding.

Hope this helps.

OnTheFly

I have tried both of those. The problem I keep running into is that my form in my database has two sub-forms. These sub-forms expand and some contain no record and then some contain 50 or more records each. How can I set up something that will automatically show all the entries in these sub-forms. I originally created a template in excel that was used to e-mail the info around. That was before I built my database. I dont want to have to fill out the form AND the template. Is there any way to import the info from access to the template? Maybe set up a command button at the bottmo of my form to make it go to the template?

When you say you have tried both methods does this mean you have tried creating a snap shot of the report and sent it and it did not work?

Based on the fact that you have sub forms involved, the snapshot of a report would be the easiest method if the recipients have Snapshot viewer (it is a free download at Microsoft).

You can export and insert records into a template (Excel or Word) but it involves some advanced coding.

Hope this helps.

OnTheFly

Creating a repot was my first thought. The main problem I run into when I create a report is making my entire sub-form fit on one page. They both hang off the page (horizontally). I tried to shrink them in design view but they still hang off. Is there any way to make it "shrink to fit" I have tried adjusting my properties to "can grow / shrink" on everything. When I have numerous records in a sub-form will they all be displayed when I run the report? Or will only as may that will fit in the designated area for the form show?

The can grow/ Can Shrink property allows for the growth when the records don't fit in the designated space. There is really no way to force the record text to shrink to fit on a report. If it is longer then the report would become 2 pages or more. I know of no way to prevent this.

If it is a problem for the report to expamd to more than one page then I don't have a solution for you other than figuring out the maximum number of sub records and designing your report to fit that particular scenario.

Sorry I can't help more with this.

Depending on what email software you use and its configuration, you could write a procedure using the "send object" to email records selected. Check Access Help for "Send Object

Have you tried creating a report based on a parameter query where you choose say the record number of some other field in the database as the parameters for the report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back