Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DVDPLAY.EXE How to get rid of !!!? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubic

Technical User
Jul 14, 2002
CA
How do I uninstall dvdplay.exe form W2K? It exists in the system folder but has no Start Menu shortcuts and does not appear in Windows add/remove programs. The damn thing starts whenever I put a DVD movie in the drive. I've tried deleting it directly, but it just keeps commong back!

You can probably delete it if you log on as administrator.
But better, disable autoplay , see thread616-271408.

I do delete it as the administrator. Yes, it actually does delete, but reinstalls itself, perhaps from a cab file as soon as a DVD is detected. Neither can I find dvdplay registered to autostart with any filetype.

if you've tried going to your \winnt\system32 directory and deleting dvdplay.exe (or renaming it if you think you might use it again), then then add or verify that in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\FileAssociation

..there is a "KillList" entry and dvdplay.exe should be in it. If it isn't, edit that line to add it in there...all lowercase, and additions must be seperated by semicolon.

Give that a shot - haven't tried it myself, but I think it just might work. Also - you can try installing a software DVD player instead, and it will associate itself.

It's the decoder that's killing you here..if your computer detects a decoder with no other program associated with it, it will place a shortcut in your startup menu to dvdplay. Make sure that's deleted as well.

? hope it works for ya.. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Thanx pbxman,

I have special reasons for not wanting anything to autostart when I put a DVD in the drive. If I want to play the movie I use WinDVD, which I have configured not to autostart. I'll let you know if your registry fix works, but it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back