Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dummy Moment - New SD Card 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenWyker

Technical User
Jun 30, 2005
US
Can someone explain to me the SD card recreation concept? My understanding is the firmware and licenses live on the card. Just tried to update my system, says not enough space. yeah yeah, I get it.

First, does the SD card have to be an Avaya card (I want a larger one and both cards I have here are 4g ... are they now making bigger ones)? Right now I only have 1 of the slots occupied.

Second, do I want to format card or recreate card? will either of this options risk me loosing my PLDS licenses? I have access to PLDS with my IPOSS.

If there is a lovely support doc that explains this, other than what is (not) listed in the manager help file, I'd love some guidance.

Yes, it MUST be an Avaya card. New cards are 8GB.
You should do a FORMAT (with manager), and then a ReCreate.
Getting a new SD card gives you a new FK number. You will need to re-host your PLDS licenses to this new PLDS ID (fk number).

-Austin
I used to be an ACE. Now I'm just an Arse.
qrcode.png

@StephenWyker Hi - I just went through the process of upgrading from a 4GB card to an 8GB card so I can walk you through it.

Firstly, you MUST have an Avaya SD Card as they're watermarked. Other brands of SD cards won't work (at least this is what I've been told on here and by other people too)

Which release do you have at the moment and which release are you upgrading to?

If you want to do the upgrade now on the 4GB Card I would:

Step 1-
Insert your existing 4GB card into a PC and grab the following files to keep in a safe place as you'll need them again:

System/Primary/Config.cfg (Stored configuration file on the SD card)
System/Primary/PLDSKeys.xml (PLDS Licence Keys)
Important: I don't usually back up Voicemail/AA Recordings etc because I work from home and don't have a huge amount of extensions so It's not a big deal if I lose these (I'm only running Essential Edition) so you may want to look into backing these up too.
Also, DO NOT format the SD Card using Windows as this must be done by the correct IPO Manager for the system you're running.

Step 2-

Open Manager for the CURRENT release you're on. Once open & connected to the system, click on File, Advanced and Format IP Office SD Card. It's important you select the correct option. In Australia we use IP Office A-Law. If you're not sure once you have your config open, go to System, Telephony, and the companding law is listed on the top right.

So for me, I go to File, Advanced, Format IP Office SD Card, then IP Office A-LAW

This process shouldn't take long

Step 3-

This step isn't essential however it significantly speeds up the process of rebuilding the SD Card by removing languages you don't use. On your computer, navigate to c:\Program Files (x86)\Avaya\IP Office\Manager\Memory Cards\ then open the folder you need (E.g. IPOAlaw - not again this is for my system of A-LAW)

Copy the file IPOXXXXXX.txt (IPOALaw.txt or IPOMULaw.txt) to your desktop and take another backup of the file for safe keeping.

Open the Desktop version of the file in Notepad

If you only want to keep English (US & UK) navigate down to the directory system\lvmail

You want to retain the sub-directories ENG and ENU and remove the directories for all of the other languages. If you're having trouble with this step, there is a great video on YouTube to walk you through it:
Step 4-

Once you've completed Step 3, you need to move the Desktop version of the txt file back to the location you copied it from and override the one in c:\Program Files (x86)\Avaya\IP Office\Manager\Memory Cards\etc.... which will require Windows Admin privileges.

Step 5 - Rebuilding the card, finally!

Open Manager for your EXISTING release and go to File, Advanced, Recreate SD Card, then select your correct IP Office A-Law or U-Law

This process will take some time however If you have removed most of the languages above, it should only take 20-30 mins?

Step 6 -
Before removing the SD card from the computer, copy back your Config.cfg and PLDSKeys.xml file back to the SD card to System/Primary/

Now, you should see a cleaned up SD card that should give you enough space to upgrade the IPO to the release you need. After the upgrade, you should copy the latest phone firmware files to the SD Card to keep these up to date for your phones.

You will need to order a new Avaya 8GB Card. You should be able to find plenty online but again make sure you're purchasing the correct one (A-LAW or U-Law). Once you receive the new card it's just a matter of completing a rehost using your PLDS Access to transfer your licences to your new card. From memory I think i downloaded a new PLDSKeys file once I did this but I can't remember. Once the licences are transferred, refer to the above again to recreate the SD card with the NEW version of Manager for the Release you have upgraded to and drop your config.cfg and PLDSKeys.xml files back in place, then reboot the system with the new 8GB Card.

I hope this info was helpful. If I have missed anything I'm sure others will comment.

Good luck!

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Thanks so much for the info. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Being I use App Server and not embedded voicemail, is there a way to just exclude all that crap? Same every time I upgrade the system?

@StephenWyker No problems at all! Thanks for the pink star. Unfortunately I've only played around with Essential Edition with embedded voicemail, so my knowledge is very limited here. I'm sure someone will see this post and comment. The people on here are excellent. Just takes some time for people to see the posts because we're all in different time zones.

Removing all of the languages you don't need from the respective (A or U)Law.txt file before rebuilding the card will save a HUGE amount of time when rebuilding the SD Card.

What release are you running at the moment and what release are you upgrading to?

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

The step he is giving about changing the language file.txt file is something I do even for VM Pro systems. It just cuts down the recreate time. It isn't necessary. Just a time saver.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Where / how in PLDS do I update from one card to another. Is there a tech document on this?

Go to Activation > Search Activation Records
Enter the Company Name of the owner, click the looking glass
Click Search Companies
Select the Company from the results
Click Search Activation Records

Find the current License Host, click the Options for that host, select Rehost
Click [Add a license Host (WebLM Server Name)]
Give it a name (some guys use the PLDS Host ID (the Feature Key number), I like to just give it a name like XYZ Company AnyCity IP 500) and click Save

You may need to go through the menus to click Next on a Review menu, or Move to Group, depending on the Owner

Now you are on the screen "Rehost/Move (full/partial move to new License Host (WebLM Server Name))"
Put in the HOST ID (with Dashes) and click Rehost All (or pick the quantities of what you are rehosting)
Click on Next

Final screen where you check Agree, put in your email address, and click Next
Download the file directly, or retrieve it from your email

You are the best. Thanks again. Didn't wanna F*** that up! Worked like a charm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back