Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual PRI on VCM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmnstr

Programmer
Feb 18, 2009
US
I am trying to assist another tech with a problem and wanted to see if anyone can confirm this issue or have any input. He has a IP 500 (version unknown at this point but can make a call to find out) with a dual PRI card on a VCM 32 module. System has been working fine for about a year but in the past week one circuit has started taking errors. He was told that it is not a good idea to put PRI daughter cards on VCM cards. Anyone know about this? I have PRI on VCM on a number of systems and have never had an issue. When line is removed from IP Office local telco reports no errors. I had a similar issue when upgrading a system from 4.1 to 5.0(18) but after a couple of power cycles the problem went away. I know there is not much detail here but I am mainly looking for confirmation on the card placement.

I always put my ATM4 on my Phone 2/8 and always put it in slot 1.

I always put my PRI Single/Dual on my VCM32/64 and always put it in slot 4 (unless there is a 4 port expansion card)

Only exception if if I don't have the base card in question. Never had an issue.

Kyle Holladay
ACSS SME Communications
ACE Implement: IP Office
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

I can't recall anything about not putting a PRI card on a VCM card. In my experience carriers are wretched when it comes to diagnosing problems with circuits-- especially intermittent problems. They tend to just look out from the Central Office which really doesn't test everything but they treat it as dogma anyway. If you have access to the Smartjack, the Adtran HDSL card is pretty common card:

Page 13 has the connection settings for the serial port. You can hyperterminal into the card and it keeps a running log of any errors and whether those errors came from the carrier or the customer side of the Smartjack. You can save the logs as a text file and print them out or email them to the carrier and the customer.

I have used this numerous times to definitively prove the problem to the carrier. It is also nice to be able to show the proof to the customer that it has nothing to do with you. Even if it isn't the carrier it is nice to be able to rule them out with certainty.

Thanks guys. I feel it is a problem with the carrier. The carrier claims they connected their own equipment to the circuit and did not receive errors but I have no confirmation of that. Also, I have never heard of a problem with a PRI card on a VCM module but I thought I would check. This information was given to me by someone who said he does tier 4 support for Avaya (not an Avaya employee.) My feeling is it is either a carrier problem or possibly a synch/clock issue. We have tried to make sure one line is Network and the other Fallback which worked for 1 full day before the problems started again.

That my friend, is a little piece of gold. Star for the link to the manual.

if you havt already use SSA & look at the 24rh performance summary for the isdn card

Then report bact to the line providere highlighting Framing errors EBit Errors & any other errors you are getting.

Here is some new information that I wasn't given previously. Although I was under the impression that calls were dropping, I have since found out that the system is rebooting. It seems to reboot 5 times about every 3-5 minutes, wait 30-40 minutes then it will continue the 5 reboot cycle. The system was installed and running fine for about a year until last week when a new IP500v2 was introduced running R6. However, the main site with the reboot problem was running 5.0(15) and has since been upgraded to 5.0(18). My suspicion is there is an issue with the R6 unit running on an SCN with 5.0 so the customer is planning to upgrade all units to R6. If anyone can shed any light on this or knows of SCN issues between these versions it would be greatly appreciated.

The problem was originally with 5.0(15) so I thought the upgrade may help. Apparently not, so I guess the next step is 6.0.

Post a monitor trace with the reboots.
It does not matter if the trace is long :)

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

Hope to have one in a short while. I will find out what time the system last rebooted and clear out some of the extra log data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back