Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTMF tones "into" Norstar 0x32

Status
Not open for further replies.

quasitek

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
US
I've got a customer who says that their biggest customer claims that when they call my customers 0x32 that they get answered by CCR on NAM voicemail, but that they can't dial anyone's extension number. I'm saying its their biggest customer's phone system not the 0x32. But has anyone else had this problem??? Thanks.

ASK IF THE CUSTOMER CALLING IS A NORTEL OPTION 11-81

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

What Perry is suggesting is that the incomming phone system may not be sending DTMF once connected in an active call. I had a Norstar 8X24 with a digitone problem that displayed this behavior. Some PBXs may not be programmed to do this from all extentions.

PhM

Thanks guys. Pretty much what I think. I know the old Toshibas are infamous for diffficulty sending DTMF. But, wild guess, could it be that the LEC at customer calling in isn't sending proper tones?

Unlikely. My on a guess.

Cheers
PhM

It could be that supervision isn't happening quickly enough. Ask if the calling party is using a digital set or a plain telephone. Can they do a test call from a plain telephone on that system and replicate the problem? (They could use the handset on a fax machine if they don't have any 2500 sets). Alternatively, they can try dialling the destination number followed by the # sign to stop the 'end of dial' timer. Any digits entered after that should happen right away, rather than waiting for a trunk timer to expire.

Does anyone else have this problem if so it is in the NAM. You need to set Touch Tone Gate to none. FEATURE 983 logg in then press AA then dial 1 and set Touch Tone Gate to none.

Thanks hawks. I can't get to my customer until this Mon. but will try that, and keep you posted.

Hello all. Went to the complaining customer and made a test call to my customer. My customer has call screening on their voicemail. One of two problems occurred when the complaining customer placed a call. Problem one: when they heard the part of call screening that says "please record your name at the tone" , they began leaving their voicemail message (lenghty at times) and hung up. Problem two (and the big one for them), if they did indeed "record their name at the tone" and sat there, they experienced no ring back while the call was going through to the dialed extension. Complaining customer saw this as my system wasn't "seeing" aka "getting DTMF tones". Lastly, and this is funny. If complaining customer dialed an extension number and got the prompt from voicemail "you have entered an invalid extension" then complaining customer, again determined MY system was broken. This is their telephone systems coordinator no less. Resolution was to throughly educate complaining customer to stop, slow down and listen to all prompts and not to expect ringback. Advised my customer to provide an up to date extension list. Drove from Ft.Ld. to Orlando for all of this. Glad I wasn't paying for it. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back