Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTMF Issue with Mitel 3300

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkp20

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2007
US
Just installed a Mitel 3300 in out company. All of the 5330e phones work fine with DTMF when dialing into a conference bridge such as WebEx or GlobalMeet. Also installed some SoundStation IP 6000 conference phones. these phones have the DTMF issue when we dial into the bridge. after dialing the initial conference bridge number we can no longer dial digits unless we press the conference button on the phone then back out of the conference mode. After we do this when DTMF works. has anyone else experienced this? By the way i was only using the bridge as an example. this happens on all numbers we dial that require addition selection, on the IP 6000's.

It sounds like the Polycoms are on a network that is not configured in the Trusted networks on the MAS

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

So what would be the next step. Calling the vendor and having them fix the issue? im guessing there's nothing i can do on the phone side to fix the issue? All of the 6000's have static IP's, Subnets, Gateways, and DNS addresses.

Find out what the IP is of the Polycom

Add that address to the trusted networks on the MAS

will do. i will have to have the ISP to add it since my company decided to have the 3300 hosted instead of onsite infrastructure. Thanks for the advise.

ooooh, that might change things a bit.

No idea how that might affect things. We run hosted out of our office but not in a MiCollab environment.

For hosted phones, there's lots of issues with SIP. Each device is unique and adds delicious flavour to my life.

The issue is more likely to reside in this area.

I'm not sure why you are suggesting this is a MiCollab issue?

Do you have any issue with RTP for these SIP devices i.e. any 1-way voice issues reported?
Are the polycoms sitting on your Voice vLAN or are they setup on your data?
Do you have a way of testing this internally, so to eliminate a trunk issue (this could be possible if you are using SIP trunks. If you have NuPoint this could prove an easy test by just trying to log into a mailbox.
If the issue cannot be replicated internally it would suggest Trunks. I would hazard a guess this would mean you have SIP Trunks (and as you are hosted I would suspect you are running VM's so this would be an obvious choice). If so then this could be that your SDP options set within you SIP Peer need altering.
If the issue can be replicated internally I would recommend finding out how your devices are connect to the phone system, as you are hosted you may use an MBG/SRC to proxy the phone traffic or to enable call recording perhaps? If you connect directly to the MiVoice Business this would indicate a local issue with the SIP device.

@tomjr87 re:Micollab issue

The most common issue with MiCollab is people forgetting to add IP subnets to the trusted sites. This results in one way audio that appears as a DTMF issue when people are dialing into the server.

Of course, none of this applies on a hosted solution but that was not revealed earlier on.

Are you really unaware of this?

Its not even mentioned they have MiCollab? If its just a normal outbound call then this wouldn't have anything to do with the MiCollab......unless you are suggesting they have MiVoice Business Express (the new names for vUCC or MiCollab with Voice).

@tomjr87

theres no 1-way voice issues reported. once the user bypasses the DTMF issue everything works fine.

yes the polycoms are on a voice vlan that we have configured. due to us having MPLS, we dont manage our dhcp or routers for that matter.

The polycoms are setup in which they do not have a voicemail box.

We actually have the Mitel 3000 controller in house. Its not running a virtual machine. everything is running off the on site controller which is controlled by Mitel. We also have an ASUII for our fax lines.

But can you dial into voicemail anyway and test to see if key presses are recognized. You don;t need to have a mailbox just log into your own personal one or just navigate the menus.....anything just to see if DTMF is recognized.

ok so after some testing let me explain the results. If the user dials into the meeting directly the can dial the prompts. but if the user lets the meeting dial them back they cannot press any of the prompts unless they either place the call on hold them come out of hold or press the conference button then cancel the conference button. sorry for the confusion. so this is a one way issue only when the conference bridge calls the user back.

Are we still talking about an external Bridge?
Do you get the same problem with a normal handset that gets called back?

yes we are still talking about the external bridge. no, the 5330e's do not have the same issue, just my IP 6000's.

So I'm thinking this is a payload issue....You didn't let me know if you had SIP earlier, if you do I think this would confirm the issue.

Polycoms view on this is...

"If you are unable to send DTMF Signals to a IVR or Voice Mail System you may need to change the method or the payload type.
Please liaise with your SIP Platform Support in order to gather this Information."

Polycom support is not bad, have a look and the two links below as they should detail the problem,troubleshooting and resolution :)

Link
Link

yes, we are using SIP. i will look into those links. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back