Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DST Exchange Update: Unable find mailbox timezone:

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddzc

Technical User
Sep 25, 2006
CA
Hey all,

Anyone else have any issues running the exchange DST tool (MsExTmzCfg.exe).

I ran the tool, it scans every single mailbox but it gives me the following errors on all of them except 1 (Unable find mailbox timezone:Error 0x8004010F)

The process completed, but Mailboxes_1.txt only has 1 mailbox in it which is the one I created to run this tool. NonExistent.txt has all of the other mailboxes (150)

Anyone have any ideas on what is being done incorrectly? I'm 100% it's not a permission issue.

Thanks

I would suspect it is pretty much as it says.

It is unable to work out the timezone of the mailbox while it is scanning, thus it can't put a timezone entry in Mailboxes_1.

Tool found about 95% of mine

I also set the ReadCalendarTimeZones=1 entry in the MsExTmz.ini file.

Easy enough to fix anyway if majority of your users are in one time zone. Just import the nonexistent.txt file into Excel, add the server into the 2nd column and the correct time zone into 3rd and save out again as tab delimited text. Then update the MsExTmz_1.ini file to point to that one.

Cheers
Neill

Thanks for the reply.

The majority of the users are in one time zone. I could modify the mailboxes_1.txt file but it will take me way too long.

I think it'ss very odd that it would find 1/150 mailboxes and it was the mailbox I was in. I think it found it b/c I manually ran the outlook client update on the machine.

Is there any other methods I can attempts to get this tool to extract the timezone information. There's obviosuly something wrong with a config or something...but i'm really stumped on this.

Another odd thing is, it wont take my legacydn. It proceeded when I just entered the server name.

ntinlin, was this the same format that you received when running the tool against the mailboxes:

/O=organization name/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=joe

You must have 2nd version of the tool if it accepted netbios name for server.

Yes, that is the correct format.

Did you try setting the ReadCalendarTimeZones=1 entry and re-running the scan as I said above? You might have to remove the semi-colon ; in front of the line as well.
That will use recurring appointments to try and work out time zone.

Unless you have 50,000 users with 500 of those in different time zones then editing nonexistent.txt with Excel will take you about 5 minutes.

You could I suppose do an extract from AD with the cn entries, mail server, and office location or similar if you use that, to try and quickly work out who is in what time zone.

Tool can only go so far unfortunately.

Sorry I forgot to mention... yes I tried to enable the following string "ReadCalendarTimeZones=1". Still no luck.

I'm thinking about editing the file but I feel that something will go wrong later on. It's impossible that none of the mailboxes has a timezone data attached to it. I'm really stumped on why this tool is not extracting the info.

great link, thanks sniper.

I followed the above link and re-ran the file. This time is grabbed about 40% of the mailboxes.

I manually added the other 60% in to the Mailboxes_1.txt file. I ran the batch file and it successfully executed the 40% of the files. The batch file skipped the other 60% of the files.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how to run this on the other 60%, it would be greatley appreciated.

This is what the error message is in the log:

Error Processing Mailbox:/O=Organization/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=BOB SERVER_NAME EASTERN STANDARD TIME - 0x80070057

Keep in mind that when it's done, you won't have a text file for every user - just those that had appointments in the delta period that needed to be adjusted.

I'm not near one of my servers right now. But I did notice that it would give those messages when it was first traversing the mailboxes. Those are to be expected/ignored.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

yes, there was only 1 text file created so only 1 person had the appointments in that time gap.

The problem is that it doesen't process 60% of the mailboxes when I run the batch. That's my main concern. I read that I can modify the Mailboxes_1.txt file to add the mailboxes the script couldn't scan,but I receive the above errors from my previous post.

If I can't get the batch to update these inboxes i'm going to have to do them manually on each workstation which I really don't want to do.

Thanks for the help.

I am following the instructions from or for DST, do I need to install Download the Exchange2003-KB926666-v2-x86-ENU.exe package on my Exch 2003SP2 server, found at (
If so when do I do this, before or after the above instructions?

After some more reading it appears the exch sp2 upgrade is mostly for OWA users. I can't find anything that says when to or not to install so I think it can be done anytime after the KB931836 update.

I have completely given up trying to run msextmzcfg.exe

I receive the error:

HrProcessMailboxTable:Unable find mailbox timezone:Error 0x80004005

This DST issue is the biggest Microsoft flailing I have ever seen. Horrible KB documentation, waiting to the last minute, coming out with hotfixes and not liking the hotfix to the original KB. Today, March 6th, queue times at MS support is five hours.

So my company will be going with an alternate method, running tzmove.exe (version 2) in the domain login script. We have placed the tzmove files in netlogon and added a run line in the logon script to run tzmove with the following switches:

/onlycreatedprepatch
/quiet

Please note that the additional switches are only available in version 2, KB926666

666 is fitting.

This will run the time zone data update tool for all users. I have a batch file that remotely shuts down or reboots all workstations remotely using shutdown.exe. This does not cover users used for resources such as meeting rooms. All users will need to logon for this to take affect.

Secondly, the tool will need to be run manually to update any public folder calendars as well.

I am making a new thread on the following question, IS THIS EVEN NECESSARY? From my testing, I am not sure it is. No one really knows what exactly tzmove does.

Jason

jsteven, i'm currently looking in to running a script b/c this garbage patch isn't working to my advantage. If you have any more info, it would be appreciated.

JS
I think had a few of these same errors so I manually added it to the Mailbox_1.txt file then appended the proper time zone (copy/paste) from another user that was detected properly. These manually updated mailboxes seemed to run fine when running the batch file. Their logs show the times adjusted.

KRP,

I tried to do the same. I manually updated the mailbox_1.txt file but I got this error when running the batch:

Error Processing Mailbox:/O=Organization/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=BOB SERVER_NAME EASTERN STANDARD TIME - 0x80070057

Also, does anyone know how to detect what the actual time zone is for each mailbox in exch 2003?

Guys, I just figured out why this tool is not running on most of my mailboxes and may be the same reasoning why it's not running on others.

All of the mailboxes that failed to run with this tool are not runniung outlook 2003 (2000, 2002). The tool only works on the clients that have outlook 2003 installed.

Does anyone know if this tool can run on clients not running Outlook 2003? are clients running outlook 2000 and 2002 affected by this dst change?

Thanks everyone

Hey guys, just an update. The majority of the inboxes we're not 2003. I found a few that we're so thats not the problem.

Here is the error I get when I try to run a batch on one of the mailboxes from the nonexistent list:

HrReadTimezoneFromRegistry:Failed opening timezone registry key 'Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\EASTERN STANDARD TIME ' - Error 0x80070002.
HrProcessMailbox:Error 0x80070002 - Unable to Read timezone EASTERN STANDARD TIME

This is the manual entry I added in to mailboxes_1 and I put Eastern Standard Time because that's what it should be.

Is there anything I can do at this point?

I pushed out the DST update for Windows XP SP2 about a week and a half ago via WSUS. I havent yet run the Exchange tool to update all 500 mailboxes in my domain.

Do I need to use the /ONLYCREATEDPREPATCH switch when I run the Exchange Tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back