Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Drivers wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshs328

Programmer
Feb 28, 2002
US
I have a little prob I did a full reformat and installed windows 98se and I tryed to install my drivers for my sound video and I have on another cd seperate from the recov disks that I earlier found out that they didnt work so I got those 2 drivers off the internet and I tryed to install them and they didnt work from either the recovery disks /(i can open the recovery driver disk through- my computer- E- right click explore-and find the folders that has the driver i need)/ or the ones i got off the internet I cant get them to work so i had a friend who has the same video card i have a nVIDIA TNT2 Pro 32mb so he gave me his disk and didnt work i have no idea what is goin on with my computer it wont take them even when i try to force it to wont take says it installs but nothing changes im kinda stuck here i think im doing everything right but i could be wrong so if u want to write a little direction for me thats ok i see if im trying to install them right.

Thanks
Joshs328
I REALLY NEED SOME HELP PLEASE HELP IF U CAN

have any ideas!!! come on guys I need some help I asked a friend and he has no idea either we are kind stuck

Onboard video and sound or expansion cards?

What kind of system....you mentioned recovery disks? Gateway?....Compaq??? Have you upgraded since you bought the system with newer cards?

Here are some things to try, but answering the above questions and giving an exact description of you computer system would be more helpful for anyone on here to help you.

Go into safemode and make sure there are no phantom drivers left behind or there is no more than one variation of the drivers showing. Multiple phantom drivers will confuse the system and the only place you can see them is in safemode.

Go to add/remove programs in control panel and uninstall any sound or video reference. Some cards will not install upgrades on top of themselves you have to uninstall first.

If you have recovery CD's it probably loaded the original drivers for the original chipsets you had when you bought the system, so look for those names in the add/remove programs and uninstall them.

Try removing all sound information in device manager and see if it picks up a new device and allows you to use the drivers you have on CD.

If you uninstall video drivers it will automatically set your system back to 16 color VGA standard driver, then you should be able to install the video card with the CD as long as you uninstalled the software as I stated above in add/remove software.

Hope this helps!
ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

I have a HP 9780c heres what it has in AMD Athlon 900 MHz processor (Slot A)/128 mb SDRAM/HD 60 gb/cdrw drive/dvd-rom drive/*HP 10/100 BaseT LAN Adapter*/*Modem Tiger+ with Floyd LC*/*32 MB Nvidia TNT2Pro*/*Ensoniq 1371 PCI card*(is this the same as a creative soundblaster card??? thats what I got a driver for before a creative card and I used it before on another occasion and everything worked fine)if u need more specs go here I have the recovery cds but they dont work gives an error "this is not the right recovery cd for ur model of HP PC" and just kicks me into dos I have no idea y it dosent work I called HP and they wanted 30 plus shipping for new disks i got a part # for the disks and i looked on the cds i already have and they are the same part # as they gave me so i think that they screwed up and put in the wrong disks into the case when they were packaging the disks??? so i didnt want to order them and be stuck with them for something they messed up I never got the new ones so I figured out that I could right click the disk and it would let me use the drivers that are on the last disk. I tryed everything like I said before im stuck the drivers for the stuff I have on seperate disks(sound and video) they wont even take. I can just put in another modem if i cant get the driver for them I tryed driverguide.com im in the process of searching for drivers.. i am really stuck i did like lgebhart said i even tryed to force my system to take them--uninstall every video driver and it restarts and i told it to look on the TNT disk my friend gave me and it would only install the generic windows driver.. i never had any upgrades only serviced under warranty i had alot of trouble wit this system thanks for ur help

Joshs328

Everything is finally ok I got the drivers to take the only prob is that I have very low sound I have no idea y that is all I had to do was uninstall all drivers and restart and tell it to search a list and I clicked on have disk and I had to browse the recovery disks till I found the right 1 and I had a little trouble gettin them to take i ahd to switch between 98 cd and recovery cds.. what i was doing before was telling it to search the disk by itself and it wasnt picking up the drivers.. thanks lgebhart.. if any1 has any idea y my sound is really low even if I have everything set to highest and I checked the wires and everything is tight and the way HP has there names for drivers is so messed up

Did you right-click the little horn in your Systray, select "Open volume controls," and turn your volume up there? You might also see if your speakers are plugged into the right connector on your sound card, and that your sound card is fully inserted into its socket.

Beyond that, since your video card had not been properly installed, perhaps you need to reinstall your sound card in the same way, or at least closely following instructions in your documentation, if they are provided.
Butch

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts"

I checked everything xcept looking to see if the card is seated right thats about all ill try to reinstall the drivers again to see if that works i think thats what my prob is

Thanks
Joshs328

I believe you should concentrate on the video drivers first. Make sure you have all the latest drivers from the manufacturer. Uninstall all of the sound drivers from Device Manager, power off, then remove your sound card. Re-boot & confirm deletion from Device Manager. If there are any other yellow or red flags in Device Manager you might want to remove those also before proceeding.
Bring up the video. When you are successful, backup your registry [in case installing other drivers causes video problems].
Also, another possible try is to plug the sound card into another slot. This will force plug and play to re-allocate resources and might make a difference.

Milton has a point. First, an updated driver is available from nVidia's site for the TNT2. If you go into the video settings (Right-click on desktop, then select "Properties," select the "Settings" tab, then go into "Advanced"), you will see in there something to the effect of "go to nVidia website." That will take you right to the new driver, and it works wonderfully. In fact, you need that new driver if you want to install DirectX 8.1 because the old one is not compatible with it.

Second, the TNT2 can conflict with the sound card. I had a TNT2 along with a Diamond S100 sound card. Having been installed first, the video card grabbed IRQ5, which the sound card wanted. I removed the video card drivers, then installed the sound card, THEN reinstalled the TNT2. The video meekly accepted IRQ11, and everything worked great after that.
Butch [pc2]

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts"

hey thanks Ill try that sorry I havent checked on this thread in a while I have been pretty busy I was working on a roof well thanks Ill check the nVIDIA site I was there a couple days ago and I really cant use those drivers unless I get them while at school b/c this computer dosent have zip or cdrw drive and I seen the file is very large well thanks guys

Joshs328

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back