Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dramaticly Speedup Opening PDF Files 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcastner

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
US
You have to try this to believe how fast a PDF can open with Adobe Reader 5 or 6:

faq608-5439

Best,
Bill Castner

Hi Bill,

Thats a great tip. Shame I can't give more than 1 star!!

I found that on my machine it works great for locally stored PDFs, however if I wanted to open a web based PDF it would just hang. Anyone else got this problem?

However if I kept the EWH32.api file in the plug-ins folder then all was fine.

I found others with similar problems -
Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

You turn these little gems up so often - you'd make a great diamond miner!

Many thanks :)

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[ul][li]please tell us if our suggestion has helped[/li][li]need some help? faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

I have really only done the testing on Web based PDFs, (Reader 6.0.1) and I moved everything. I have yet to have a single hang or error but will adjust the FAQ if so. Thanks for any comments or testing. In the plugins folder was a README.TXT file that said "Put unused plug-ins in the optional directory." which is what the trick does.

I used to dread to find that a web resource I needed was a PDF. I have not read things in the past because they were PDF.

I like this trick a lot.

FAQ adjusted to add Greg's comment above.

thankyou, thankyou, thankyou

Make sure you also move the Folders in the plugins directory. For my settings the plugins directory is empty, the Optional folder has all the contents that previously were held in plugins.

Fantastic! Here's another star for your xlnt tip.

Thank you,
Steve

. Member Greg Palmer reported that he had to leave the plugin EWH32.api in the plugins folder in order to avoid freezing; I have not seen this with Reader 6.0.11, but offer this as a solution if you have a freeze issue. Others have suggested that three plugins must remain:
EWH32.api, printme.api, and search.api. The author of the utility below suggests that EWH32.api and search.api be left in the plugins folder. EWH32.api and search.api are what I ended up leaving in the plugins folder.

. There is a freeware utility to do the work for you:

And a star for Greg for the suggestions.

Great tip Bcastner!

I moved everything and haven't seen any problems as of yet.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Bcastner it is really very good tip. HATS OFF TO YOU
Thanks for it.

Sadly this doesn't work for those of us with the full version of Acrobat.

If sunflower oil comes from sunflowers, and vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from?

Nice one bcastner- had to move one of the files as suggested by Greg. Very fast indeed.

Sunil

has anyone ever worked out how pdf files EVER got to be a 'standard'? I know IT has a long track record of endorsing crap over quality - but pdf takes the biscuit.

The record is not "crap over quality". The standard is "known vs. unknown".

bcastner
Looks like a game of Monopoly where Bill just turned all his green houses into multiple red Hotels [thumbsup2]

Well deserved.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

OK, Bill. You knew you were going to receive a thousand stars for this post, didn't you?
[wink]

Well, I gave you one anyway! [LOL]

Great tip. I'll have to pass that one on...

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back