Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Downloads will not complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

egotek

Programmer
Jul 23, 2003
US
OK, I've got a strange one...

I reformatted my hdd a few months back, reinstalled anti-virus/spyware/etc. A couple weeks later I realized that when I go to some websites to d/l something the d/l will start, but it only gets to like 3% and just stops. No network traffic is being transfered or anything.

Some websites I can d/l from, some I can't...and it's not even just websites as someone tried to transfer a file to me over MSN Messenger (same file that I couldn't d/l) and it wouldn't come through. I've tried IE and Mozilla, same problem...obviously it's not a browser issue.

I'm running WinXP Pro, all security patches and everything is updated with SP2. Just as an example one website that I can't d/l from is try to do the manualor automatic d/l, it just gets to 1% and stops. If I try one of the other formats for like Unix or Linux or whatever, it'll d/l!

I don't get it, I tried everything I could find and finally resorted to formatting again, so after a fresh format I tried to d/l......same problem! The only thing is I let Windows Update d/l and install some updates before I tried so I didn't get to try with just a fresh copy of XP with NOTHING installed.

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, I'm on cable internet, and I've tried with and without the router. No firewall either and right now I have no anti anything installed.

So SP2 but no firewall and no anti-spyware or anti-virus? Any other software installed? If not, check out MSCONFIG and see what is running at startup. I'd say you'd received a virus and that it is this that prevents your downloads but that's a guess at present.

Well...I did install Symantec and ran a scan with updated def's, didn't find anything so I removed it.

Another couple of examples, I can't d/l this file:

It gets to 94% and stops every time. I also can't perform the simple, yet horrible, task of installing AOL since the setup program d/ls from the web, it stops at 44%.

...so frustrating.

I'm going through and uninstalling all of the hotfixes right now.

ok, all the hotfixes are gone, same problem though.....I'm starting to wonder if it's the network card.

I ran into the same issue. You may want to try right clicking the link and either "open in new window" or "save target as..." This seemed to help with my machine anyway.

I think the suggestion at looking at your hardware (or your ISP) is a good one and a natural progression in diagnosing the fault.

You may be able to resume some of the fail downloads if you used a download manager.

I did come across this but I'm not sure if it applies to all downloads but you could try it or just look in the Temporary Internet Files to see if you have any error logging. You could also look at your Event Viewer to see if you have any clues in that.

How To Force Creation of an Internet Code Download Log

Ok, well I've been out of town for the past week, sorry I haven't replied.

So today I was getting ready to go get a new network card to try and thought "hmmm, maybe I should swap PCI slots with one of the other cards in there" and sure enough!!

The PCI slot works fine....atleast I thought. I swapped my firewire card with the network card and now I can d/l whatever, wherever, whenever.

The firewire still works....I don't know what the deal was, IRQ issue maybe? Haven't had one of those in a while, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back