Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dos startup sequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunka

Programmer
Jul 14, 2003
GB
In formating a drive, or attempting to, I somehow placed a small program to run in the dos part of my computers startup sequence. It now runs each time I starup my computer, it isn't hurting anything and it wouldn't be a real problem if it stayed there but I don't want it there! It's annoying! Is there anyway to take this off? Or am I stuck with it!?

check your autoexec.bat, if you see the program name just place a rem before it.

That would be assuming that what's in the Autoexec is not actually needed, which it might be... How about something like this: Paste a copy of your autoexec in a response here, and I'm sure Nathan (or anyone else in here) will be more than happy to see if there's anything in there that's worth keeping, and see if we can find a way around the problem.

As for the technical explanation of why that DOS box pops up, I'd guess that it's because Autoexec.bat and/or what it contains is DOS-level, and therefore needs a DOS box to run. If I'm out to lunch, someone can certainly jump in and clarify :)

Cheers,

Realm174

Better to post all the autoexec files. And from the description you are saying that it only happens if you choose the DOS boot rather than on all the possible boots.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

All the things that startup on your computer can be accessed from msconfig. Autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini,system.ini, and the 3 different places in Windows. Look on the different tabs to see what is loading.

I will bet you recently put in an older sound card right? The old ones load DOS sound drivers which are not needed. They also put a line in with "SET BLASTER =...", this is not needed either.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Thanks for the assistance, unfortunatly the problem is from my computer at home and I am posting from work! Home comp not on the internet as am still in the dark ages I'm afraid! Will look at the things you've suggested and see if anything works!

Thanks again.

Dunka+

Dunka+

Copy the files mentioned by Jontkme to a floppy disk and then open them in notepad and copy and paste them in here.
Autoexec.bat and Config.sys will be in the root directory of the C: drive, and the INI files will be located in the C:\Windows directory.

John

You also may have a drive overlay such as EZ-Bios installed. If so, you need to use the same in order to remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back