Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Door Phone question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhatwwp

Technical User
Oct 23, 2007
US
Hello,

I would like to activate a dry contact when someone makes a call from a door phone. The purpose of this is to automate camera control so that when a person makes a call from the door phone the camera will pan and zoom in on the area where the door phone is. It doesn't appear the Doorphone or Door Opening Controller have dry contacts for this purpose. Am I right about this? is there a way to activate a relay when a call is made from a doorphone?

Thanks,
Lou

It only has contacts for opening a striker or maginet door. No automatic.The user has to press open on the phone or a digit.

Ok, so is there a way to activate a relay from the MICS if a call is made from a specific DN?

NOTE: You could try a seperate DC power supply (12 or 24VDC) with a DP or DPDT relay, connect the door strike contacts to the relay coil, then one side of the relay to the door strike & the the other side to your camera control & hopefully the camera will catch anyone going thru the door if the camera gets there fast enough? Just a suggestion!

As eddie is implying, the contact on the doorphone is activated only when the employee presses the button (6 by default) to open the door. If you're already using that feature to open the door, it may defeat the purpose to wire it to a camera, too.

I'd recommend either wiring a radio shack contact closure button at the desk to a separate pair for the camera, or installing a separate camera for the door.

Ya, there is a way if you are not using AUX. Ringer for anything else. Use the Aux. Ringer contacts and program a hotline on the door phone to Internal unused Ext. Then have an answer DN of the unused Ext. wherever you want it to ring. I used the same application for turning strobe light on, so will also work for camera.

MarvO said it

Hi MarvO1,

Ok, this sounds like the answer I was hoping for. I need to activate the camera before someone presses 6. I want to be able to verify their identity before allowing them through the door.

I never mentioned this before because I didn't think it would matter... however now I think it's important. I have two door phones. It would be nice to have two seperate relay contacts, one for each doorphone. Any chance you know how to deal with two doorphones and two different cameras?

Thanks,
Lou

Excellent idea Marv. ihat, what works for one door, will work for both. You only have one Aux. Ringer port, and you only need one.

Adversity is Opportunity

Great idea.

Yes, you could wire them both to AUX, if you don't mind both cameras panning when either door phone is activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back