Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does XP have IIS or PWS? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViper

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
CA
Does anybody know if XP Home Edition has IIS or PWS?

regarding getting chilisoft asp running on apache on windows xp home edition...

is this set up compatible with using microsoft visual interdev 6.0 and/or microsoft asp.net for debugging ?

thank you.

robert

Hi Robert

You need a Microsoft server extension on the webserver to use Interdev or .NET debugging. Chillisoft doesn't support this feature. (AFAIK)

Personally I still use Interdev to edit my webpages, but I can only use it by opening the files one by one locally. I can't create a web project, since Interdev requires a webserver for that.

(See my previous articles in this thread for an explanation of how to make Chillisoft work as an ASP webserver under XP)

Regards,
Jens Hykkelbjerg
hykkelbjerg@hotmail.com

Since I program professionally every day in ASP, I have no desire to learn anything else when I already know ASP. I need to use it and Visual Studio 6 or Visual Studio.Net, and I need to have the debugging working, since it greatly increases development speed and decreases development headaches.

But thanks for the advice.

Hykke

I went to have a go at your Apache/Chilisoft option but Chilisoft is now called Sun One ASP and I've not found any mention of there still being a free developer edition (on the downloads page there is just one file to download for each operating system).

Is Sun One going to time-out on me or do you know where I can still obtain a developer version of the original Chilisoft ASP because I've had no luck searching via Google - thanks.

Visit my ice hockey site at:

Now I've had a go with the hack using the files from Windows 2000 Server but have fallen at the first hurdle because I don't understand how to expand the iis.dl and iis.in files.

I saved the whole i386 onto my hard drive to be on the safe side, then saved them into the top level of the C drive. The command prompt brought up "C:\Documents and Settings\Julianne>". I typed "cd.." twice to get to a "C:\>" prompt, then typed it "expand iis.dl_iis2.dll" like the instructions said.

That brought up a line which said "No destination specified for: iis.dl_iis2.dll".

If I typed in "edit expand iis.dl_iis2.dll" a blue window appeared with just a flashing cursor and I still didn't have a clue what to do!

Can someone please fill me in on exactly what I have to do to get the files to expand as I've never tried anything like this before - many thanks.

Visit my ice hockey site at:

Hello There!!!I Been using XP Home edition for awhile now,I Have the pws 4.0 installend with no problem,all you need is front page 98 CD,and fp 2000 sevr ext and if you have fp2002 works well with it,,no mess no fuss I even have apache server with php triad all does what I need I even have two host 1 at and 1 at http:// mad/ I remember I upgraded xp home to pro just for the lil server micro left out without me even knowing about that when I BOUGHT THIS MACHINE,XP Was new and I did not know Bill made two op sys that were called xp I thought xp was just xp and you can do anything boy was I wrong,wel not really...heheheheh..it's just as good if not better then pro now...hehehehehe

try this site for .dll and .inf files, extremely useful

Now, reading through all the workarounds i got to seeing the IIS selection and checking it, it started installation and asked for files, many i got from the above link but got stuck with the .exe. My PC came with Home edition and when i put in the CD that came with it, none of the required files could be found so i got stuck.

I downloaded Apache and got it working well, I prefer Indigoperl server though and Apache ASP. After going to all the trouble of installing these ASP work arounds , nobody told me it was only good for developing new ASP, I could not download my web site pages, completely, developed on PWS ASP from my host and update or modify those pages as neither chilisoft or Apache ASP will work for this.(Updating existing files developed on IIS with Microsoft ASP)

As my whole site is Microsoft ASP developed on my win98 software I either must upgrade to pro edition or start my web site from scratch using one of the Apache ASP modules and mySQL rather than Access.

Clearly Microsoft are nothing more than cheap rogues, tricking people in buying two versions of WinXP by not disclosing that XP HE is a downgrade from win98. This is enough to justify my decision to redesign my site to suit apache and also ask my host to move my site to a unix server!

Thanks
Brandon

So who needs IIS!!

I downloaded indigoperl with Apache server. (because it has such an easy interface for adding modules) cnfigured php, perl, cgi, and mySQL then downloaded the sun asp (chilisoft) and ran the .exe file.

Then I downloaded my whole site off the IIS server, access databases the works and voila, after changing my domain hyperlinks to localhost my whole ASP site works as is, all access database connections and functions intact.

I now have a cross platform solution, that supports ASP, PHP, CGI, ASP and mySQL along with my Access Databases. I can maintain my ASP site and even take advantage of some free UNIX hosting solutions to play around with some other site ideas.

Thank you microsoft for taking the IIS, PWS function out of XP HE as i would never have discovered this cross platform solution. I am now hard at work building a new site in php and as soon as it's ready i am switching to the apache and PHP, mySQL options, Never again will I put such trust in microsoft and allow them to pull the carpet out from under my feet at will!

Brandon

firersa :
"I now have a cross platform solution"
hm?

u had it before Apache...it IS a reversable process u know!
the DB the ASP does not chage....IIS is free/included...PHP is free for windoz and is mySQL and APache if wanted.......
Besides XP is a vaste of money (except for PTP)...Home Edition states in its name what it is :)
win2000 is probably the most stable with IIS ( perhaps NT 4 with IIS and MEGA patches applied)
ChiliSft is NOT free!
open source vs. payed source.....
in any case I am GLAD that XP does not come with IIS as I hope this OS goes of the market....ok those "icon-lovers" can keep the skin! :D ...just kidding

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

When trying to install Sun ONE ASP along with Apache on XP HE did any one run into problems with the Sun installer not detecting any web servers? I followed Hykke's posts, made sure Apache was not running, but I can't get through the installation.

I followed Hykke's post,that is very helpful!It can work!Thanks a lot for that !!

best regards
ping

I also followed Hykkes instructions, but could not get asp pages to show.

kept on bringing up the pages in the default editor that i have, not as i expected.

Hi Greg

If you're using your webbrowser to bring up a page like and your default ASP editor is launched, then there must be an error in your webserver/ASP configuration. I would expect this behaviour if you were double-clicking on your ASP files, not when you access your ASP files through your apache webserver.

Regards,
Jens Hykkelbjerg
hykkelbjerg@hotmail.com

Just some more information if any body is interested. I followed Scott_J's suggestion and installed Chilisoft on XP Home with a SUN ONE Web Server and it is working fine!!

Regards
Satish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back