Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does XP have IIS or PWS? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViper

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
CA
Does anybody know if XP Home Edition has IIS or PWS?

Hi everyone - especially Hykke. Thanks for the advice on loading Apache and ChilliSoft ASP onto XP Home. I've done that and it all works great, except that the ReadMe file suggests that ChilliSoft is going to stop working in 30 days!! Is there a full, free version that I've missed?

Thanks

Hi igWeb

I'm happy to hear you got Chillisoft ASP installed using the instructions from my previous post. I downloaded the developers version of Chillisoft ASP, and it hasn't stopped working yet...

Just remember that the developers version should only be used for developing the pages on your local PC, don't use it as an actual webserver. So far I'm very happy with Chillisoft ASP I haven't found anything that IIS does better than Chillisoft. (Except maybe for XP-Home installation problems, IIS creates a lot more of those than Chillisoft :) Regards,
Jens Hykkelbjerg
hykkelbjerg@hotmail.com

I would like to thank Hykke for reccomending Chillisoft!!! It works great. I have been trying to get some type of server on my XP-HE computer since I got it. I tried the IIS workaround and got fed up. Just remember to get the "Free Developer Edition" of Chillisoft not the trial.

Hi, I have done what Hykke said and its worked perfect until the end part:

8. After this i rebooted my PC, changed the Apache configuration file to make the ServerRoot point to my ASP pages folder, and made "default.asp" into the page shown when a user selects a folder. I restarted Apache and voila... My old ASP pages were working again

I actually have a snitz forum, dunno if you've heard of it? And have tried to run it with the apache server with the Chillisoft ASP software. I have edited my configuration file to make the server root point to C:/program files/apache group/apache/htdocs and I have edited my config file (contains the connection string to the database) so that it points to my database correctly and for some reason it wont find it?

Now for some reason when I access the I get this:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.26 Server at Port 80

I put it my file name and I get this:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

Could not find file 'C:\folder\database.mdb'.

config.asp, line 134

And that is the path to my database. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks!

P.S I want to keep XP Home, so no suggestions on upgrading to pro/2k lol.

actually ignore that post, its working like a dream now! Many thanks hykke! Its a great solution that actually works!

Hi,

I have followed this thread from the start. I have Win XP Pro and nowhere but nowhere is there anything about IIS or PWS in there. Can anyone suggest where I can find it? My XP is the upgrade pro version and now has the SP1 installed and there is no "INETMGR" nor anything in Administrative Tools.

I'm baffled as hell - not unusual where Microsoft programs are concerned.

Thanks for any help.

Tony

Have you installed it under Add Programs/Windows Components and tick IIS and install Saturday 12.00
im6.gif
im2.gif
im2.gif
im5.gif
im4.gif
im7.gif
3.00am
im8.gif
Sunday [img http

Thanx Gary - That's the problem. Never even thought of it.
Looks like I had too much beer on Monday rather then Saturday!!!
Tony

Been trying to get started with my asp programming but eversince I installed Win XP pro, I've not been able to open any of my asp files. By default, the IIS has already been installed when Win XP pro is installed. I have already set the default directory to start running but everytime i try to browse a *.asp extension, IE responses with unable to connect.

How are you looking for the asp files, i.e. what address ru using? Saturday 12.00
im6.gif
im2.gif
im2.gif
im5.gif
im4.gif
im7.gif
3.00am
im8.gif
Sunday [img http

I'm pretty new to asp programming. I was working in Win ME with the following address: is the same address that i use to access the asp files in Win XP Pro. Currently, i've tried accessing the files from the default directory and also by creating a virtual directory but have been terribly unsuccessful in opening an asp file.

Are you sure IIS is installed? I dont remember it being installed by default when i swapped to XP Pro, if it is check that scripts are enabled for the default directory. Saturday 12.00
im6.gif
im2.gif
im2.gif
im5.gif
im4.gif
im7.gif
3.00am
im8.gif
Sunday [img http

Yes, IIS is installed since I am able to access the IIS by typing inetmgr using the "RUN" under start. However, how do I check that the scripts are enabled for the default directory. Currently, all i see is that the state for the "Default Web Site" is running.

Control Panel/Admin Tools/Internet Info Services. Right click on default Web Site and Properties. Under the Home Directory Tab check that Execute Permissions is set to Scripts. This could be the reason if its set to None Saturday 12.00
im6.gif
im2.gif
im2.gif
im5.gif
im4.gif
im7.gif
3.00am
im8.gif
Sunday [img http

Hi Gary,

Thanks for that tip but unfortunately, I still can't access any asp files. I keep getting "The page cannot be displayed" everytime I try to click "Browse" when selecting an asp file from the default web site. Any other suggestions?

Duh,
I think, rather than selecting it thru Browse use localhost/ and your directory and filename Saturday 12.00
im6.gif
im2.gif
im2.gif
im5.gif
im4.gif
im7.gif
3.00am
im8.gif
Sunday [img http

Hi Gary

I still get the message "The page cannot be displayed". I'm knocking off right now. Thanks for helping out. If you can think of anything else that could help me out, please post a message and I'll probably revisit the site tommorrow and check it out.

Thanks for your help.

Turn off friendly error messages under Tools/Internet Options and Advanced tab and see if you get a more descriptive error message Saturday 12.00
im6.gif
im2.gif
im2.gif
im5.gif
im4.gif
im7.gif
3.00am
im8.gif
Sunday [img http

When I turn off my friendly HTTP erros I get told that the specified module cannot be found.

[tt]Man, this post is old.
[sup]
<%=Tony%>
banana.gif
rockband.gif
banana.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back