Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does XP have IIS or PWS? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViper

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
CA
Does anybody know if XP Home Edition has IIS or PWS?

Being that not everyone has access to Win2k, including myself, I am currently trying to obtain all the files. I want to zip them all together and put that zip file with instructions on the web. Legality, morality, et al... I, of course will never (really) do this. I would love to have someone who is willing to not do this with me. Specifically someone who has access to all the Windows 2k files.

Let's save a lot of people time on this workaround.

Tyler

Took a class on ASP and Local Server last year.
Just got XP.....
oh well.
Question - what are the 'Windows 2k' files that are being referred to.

Also - What is Apache (in brief)? Is it shareware, open source, shareware?
Thanks

If you are just looking for a PWS to test your ASP pages,
then you should try GoAhead web server. It is a free
open source web server project that is scalable to run
on most any system (including WinXP home) and is targeted
for distribution to hand held devices.

I've tried the GoAhead webserver, and it only supports server side javascript, not VBScript, (And I have tons of VBScript on my pages)

I've also tried Chillisoft ASP for Apache, but can't get it to work with Apache v 2 or 1.3.24. In Apache v 2 I get an error when I try to start Apache after Chillisoft is installed, while Chillisoft can't even recognize apache version 1.3.24 during install.

I don't have access to a win2k installation CD, and I don't like the idea of having to pay for XP prof just to get PWS.

All I need is to debug my ASP pages locally before uploading them to my providers IIS server. Ideas anyone?

I've used quite a few hours on this problem, and never got IIS or PWS to work under XP Home. I DID get Apache to work with Sun ONE ASP (AKA. Chillisoft ASP)

Here's how:

1. Download and install Apache version 1.3.26 from (Don't download version 2.x, I can't get 2.x to work with ASP)

2. Check that gives a reply stating that Apache is working.

3. Stop the Apache webserver

4. Use regedit, and locate the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Group\Apache\1.3.26 make a new key called "1.3.22" (without the quotes) so you get a folder called: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Group\Apache\1.3.22. Now create a stringvalue here exactly like the one in the key "1.3.26". (This is necessary for Chillisoft ASP to find the directory where Apache is installed). Check that the names and values in 1.3.26 and 1.3.22 are exactly the same.

5. Download the windows version of Sun ONE ASP here:
6. Right-click the downloaded installation file, choose properties, and tell it to run in Windows NT compatible mode (I can't remember why I did this, but maybe it's necessary for the installation to work)

7. Install Sun ONE ASP.

8. After this i rebooted my PC, changed the Apache configuration file to make the ServerRoot point to my ASP pages folder, and made "default.asp" into the page shown when a user selects a folder. I restarted Apache and voila... My old ASP pages were working again

I read the article from google as well about installing IIS on Win XP Home:

Now according to what I've heard, ALL the files with the EXCEPTION of two: iis.dl_ and iis.in_ are on the Win XP Home CD, or in your C:\I386 folder or whatever. Those two that are missing are are a Win 2K Pro CD.

Now, for those of you (like myself) who don't have a Win 2k Pro CD, go here:

Both files are in that zip file. The rest of the installation should work. If you click on the google link above and click show entire thread you will see a lot of people's responses and some solutions to problems you might have.

I have not tried this, but I would like to know when someone does, and if it works. So please tell me, I am very interested... I think it could work and I have heard it does. -Phil
fillup07@hotmail.com

Thanks for the Apache Registry hack Tip. I now have ASP pages running on my XP Home edition without a single piece of MS code in sight.

I had previously downloaded version 1.3.24 of Apache and had given up on getting Chillesoft to work with it, however, it seems that as long as you have the registry key under 1.3.22 it will work fine with this version as well.

PS. Re The GoAhead server debate.. !! has anyone managed to get this processing ASP yet. I get nothing but ASP errors for both Javascript and VBScript (alhough the documentation hints that it supports both).... Not that I need it anymore..

Thanks
Peter

Well, has anyone tried getting IIS installed by doing the steps described in this thread and in the link I posted?

Also, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of using IIS or Apache/Chilisoft? -Phil
fillup07@hotmail.com

In the article "General HOWTO for running IIS in Windows XP Home Edition".

I completed steps 1-6. On step 7 it starts asking for files, so i searched for them on goole, however one of the files (httpext.dll) I couldn't find, all that came up was antivirus stuff.

Does anyone know where I can download this dll file?
And does anyone know what other files it needs.
Better yet, does anyone know where I can download all of the files?

P.S. XP Home edition came on the copmuter I bought so I don't have any CD to get the files from

Thanks

Hi all,

Bundled Win XP Home, got 2000 Server Pro CD, isntalled IIS from that using the above info, workaround.

Then typed localhost in IE and it produced an internal server error (500).

Now stuck, any help to richlondoner@hotmail would be great...

Thanks,
Richard

>>>P.S. XP Home edition came on the copmuter I bought so I don't have any CD to get the files from<<<

Search your harddrive for the files. Most computers that come with XP Home have a folder with the CD on it. Mine is C:\I386. Also search for something like httpext.dl_ -Phil
fillup07@hotmail.com

thanks fillup07, but now I need inetinfo.exe does anyone know where I can get this file (it's not in the C:/I386 folder) If you have it please could you send it to
mansoorchoudhary@hotmail.com
Thanks

hello again, forget the previous two i found the file now i need help with iis.msc, so if you know where i can get it please tell me, or if you have the file please send it to me at mansoorchoudhary@hotmail.com

I'm having the same problem as maccer. Does anyone know where to get the iis.msc file?

There was an article on this subject in the recent .net magazine (A British internet magazine, not the MS dev app) which I thought I would summarise. Goes something like this..

iis.dll is crippled in XP home edition, an upgrade to Pro is required to run it according to Microsoft.

provides a basic web server product, which can also run CGI, and is 'great for beginners'.

provides another windows based server solution that is more expandable and can be 'coaxed' to run PHP and both provide Java based ASP.

Full instructions for running PWS on Windows ME can be found at billsway.com/notes_public/PWS_WinMe.txt, and 'apparently' the same fix works for XP Home, (although I haven't tried it).

If you have a copy of Windows 2000 on CD, you can coax PWS to work on XP home by trying the following.

1. Open c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf in a text editor and find the section headed [components]. Change the line &quot;iis=iis.dll, OcEntry, iis.inf, hide, 7&quot; to &quot;iis=iis2.dll, OcEntry, iis2.inf,,7&quot;. With your Windows 2000 CD in your drive type 'expand d:\i386\iis.dl_ c:\temp\dll2.inf' at the run prompt.

2. Open the temp folder, copy the newly expanded iis2.dll to c:\windows\system32\setup and iis2.inf in c:\windows\inf, then go to the control panel and choose add/remove windows components. You should now see IIS in the list. Go to Adminstrative tools, and you should now see it.

There are also one or two free online ASP hosts, where you can test pages (if all else fails) at and
Hope this helps.

i installed iis5.1 on xp-pro.
using local server to publish web pages

explorer unable to open asp pages.

when i try to open default.asp of default web site
it returned error 500.

when i try to publish from frontpage it says ur local server
doesn't support asp.

I repeat do not waist your time. The crack with the iis5.0 from windows 2000 advance server will not work well on the web server for windows xp home edition. I recommend you install windows xp prof edition for better compatibility.

I waisted 4 hours trying to get the web server to work.

Hi all, I have read this rather long post and it has helped me get to step 7 of that in the article &quot;General HOWTO for running IIS in Windows XP Home Edition&quot;. I have got two files from a friend of mine, from a win2k advanced CD and expanded them both to IIS2.DLL and IIS2.INF. And copied them to the right folder, then I goto add remove windows components in add remove programs and it asks me for this convlog.exe/ex_ file and I have searched my whole computer for this (even the I386 folder, located C:\WINDOWS\I386\ and its just not there, can anyone help??

NOTE: I have XP Home pre-installed onto my laptop, and have no CD for the XP Home, except a reboot CD.

Thanks for any help given!!!

Youi need the whole i386 folder of windows advance server about 300 Mb. Well if you can get that then I am sure you can get the prefessional version and install it on top.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back