Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOCTYPE: PHP vs Height="100%"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cre8ivDesign

Technical User
Apr 15, 2001
CA
Hi,

The above temporary link:

I have embedded the Gallery 2 script to use for the images...which is working fine HOWEVER - I am trying to get the side bar to scale 100% in height.....what I have discoverd (and excuse my lack of knowledge) is that in order for the gallery script to work with the embedded method I have to include the following DOCTYPE:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "
When I remove this, my Gallery Text and gallery goes to "Bare Bones" at a much larger text size...formatting not right....however, I am able to use the height="100%" tag and the side bar works fine......my question:

Is there a certain DOCTYPE or an alternative code for getting the height at 100% that will aloos the gallery to appear as normal....the way it appears in my link above.....

I've been fighting with this one for a while now and would really appreciate some help.......

Thanks in advance.

What browser are you wanting this to work with (ideally, what browser matrix do you want this to work with)?

What DOCTYPES have you already tried? Surely you have tried all the strict, transitional ones that the W3C provide.

What is the effect you are after? Is there another way you can achieve the effect you want? Maybe we can suggest some other solutions if you provide us some context.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [!]@[/!] Code Couch
[/tt]

Make sure your web page and css validates properly against the doctype you have chosen - before you attempt to debug a problem!

FAQ216-6094

Hi,

I would like to get it working for IE, and i've tried all of the DOCTYPES that W3C provides.....

The link now displays all of the text in the "gallery" side just fine, but now The left column does not scale to 100% in height......the blue doesn't continue on. I would need it to go to the 100% height, because depending on the number of photos, the page is shorter or smaller.

Right now I just need something to make the left side scale to 100% that works with the following DOCTYPE:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "
The above is what works with the gallery and most other doctypes mess it up......so right now if I can only get the left table to go 100% height, we're done!

Thanks again.

Having taken a look at the way you have used tables to deliver page layout, I can only recommend that you drop the use of tables and instead use divs etc to provide a complete cross-browser solution that will not be plagued by such problems.

Using tables for page structure is no longer necessary - given the abundance of example templates already out there (and the advances in CSS techniques made available through blogs and the like).

I'm sorry it's not the answer you want. Maybe someone else is prepared to step up and work on a table-based solution with you... but I stopped working with tables for layout years ago.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [!]@[/!] Code Couch
[/tt]

Make sure your web page and css validates properly against the doctype you have chosen - before you attempt to debug a problem!

FAQ216-6094

Hi, Thanks - I'll look into that method.....As you can tell I'm not very versed in the coding side of things...more so doing this as a favor for someone. I'll see if I can find some sort of tutorial on this and try that - Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back