Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Docked Profile 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

melburstein

Technical User
Aug 29, 2000
US
I own a Dell Latitude D810 Notebook PC with a Dell Port Replicator (docking station). Until yesterday, if I clicked Start Programs, right-clicked Computers, clicked Properties, Clicked the Hardware tab and then Hardware Profiles, I would see two profiles: one for undocked and one for docked. Today, I only see the undocked profile.

The docked profile did not just disappear. In trying to fix a problem, a Dell Support Technician had me go to the hardware profiles screen and delete the docked profile. Then I undocked the PC, powered it down and restarted. After verifying that there was still only an undocked profile, I redocked the PC and powered up again. We expected that the docked profile would be rebuilt. It was not. I still only see the undocked profile even though I have a lot of USB devices attached to the docking station and they all seem to be working.

So, why doesn't the docked profile get rebuilt. Can some suggest a way to make this happen?

afik u have to create the profile by yourself. say new profile, name it, boot in it and do the changes u wanne have in that profile, save it, done.

Melburstein, this would be the exact way to deal with your problem according to Microsoft:
---

How to Set Up Hardware Profiles for Laptop Computers

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

To set up hardware profiles:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
2. On the Hardware tab, click Hardware Profiles.
3. In the Available hardware profiles box, click Docked Profile or Undocked Profile, and then click Copy.
4. Type a name for the new hardware profile, and then click OK.
5. Click the new profile, click Properties, select the This is a portable computer check box, and then select the best description for the profile (the docking state for the profile).
6. Click Always include this profile when Windows starts.

How to Use Hardware Profiles for Laptop Computers

Restart the computer and choose the new profile during the startup process. This makes the new profile (which is a duplicate of the original profile) the current profile; you can customize the profile by enabling or disabling devices. Use Device Manager to specify the devices that should be disabled or enabled for this profile.

To start Device Manager:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
2. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

For example, if you want to use the new profile for standalone use, you might want to disable the network adapter. Expand the Network Adapters category, right-click the adapter, and then click Properties. In Device Usage, select Do not use this device in the current hardware profile (disable).

To specify the default hardware profile to use when you start your computer:

1. In the Available hardware profiles box, use the arrow buttons to move the hardware profile that you want to use as the default profile to the top position in the list.
2. Under Hardware profiles selection, click one of the options that specifies how long Windows waits before automatically loading the default hardware profile.
3. If you want the default hardware profile to load automatically without displaying a list during the startup process, click 0 in the Select the first profile listed if I don't select a profile in n seconds box. (If you need to select a different hardware profile, press SPACEBAR during the startup process and choose a profile from the list.)
---

The complete article can be found on the Microsoft website in their Help and Support section:
Good luck!

If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience!
-George Bernard Shaw (1856–1950)

First of all, thank you Archtarchus for the detailed response. That is the kind of reply that really helps.

I tried to follow the instructions and ran into a couple of problems. (1) when I tried to copy 'Undocked Profile', giving it a name of 'Docked Profile', Windows said that name was not available and insisted that I use "Docked Profile 3'. (2) I could not check the box that says "this is a portable computer" because it is grayed out. So, I aborted my effort to create an "Undocked Profile).

I welcome comments regarding what I am doing wrong.

Thank You

Melburstein,

In order for your OS to automatically recreate a hardware profile, your Dell Latitude D810 Notebook PC needs to be Plug and Play compliant. If it's not, you'll simply have to create a hardware profile manually.

Also, if your Notebook is not docked, the OS will indeed gray out the center panel on the General tab in the Properties dialog window, making it impossible to place a checkmark in front of the This Is A Portable Computer line.

Furthermore, it looks to me like even though you've deleted it, your OS is retaining your initial hardware profile called Docked Profile, but it's not showing up in the Available Hardware Profiles list. A way to circumvent the resulting naming problem, would be to simply use another name for your Docked Profile, since it can bear any name you would like it to have. Of course, this naming liberty applies to your Undocked Profile as well.

Finally, a nice article in which all of the above is being discussed and clarified using some screen captures, can be found on the TechRepublic website in their SolutionBase:
Once again, Good Luck!

If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience!

The D810 is Plug N Play and the Dell Technician can not understand why the Profile isn't getting built automatically. I agree completely that it seems to be remembering the Docked Profile even though it was deleted and no longer appears in the list. When I tried to create Docked Profile 3, "This is a Portable PC" was grayed out even though I was docked when I tried to do it. I'll read the article. Thanks.

Melburstein,

Here are some other possible solutions to your problem:

1. You might try installing updated drivers for the docking station from the manufacturer.
2. You might try updating your BIOS software.
3. In your BIOS look for a setting called Universal Connect. This setting is for users who use their system on multiple docks. If it is set to Enabled, no new profile will be created for any docking device that is present. If it is set to Disabled, the OS will create a new profile for each new docking device that your Dell Latitude D810 Notebook PC connects to.

Finally, if none of the abovementioned measures work out for you, you could try and see if the previously deleted Docked Profile's key still exists in the Hardware Profiles subkey (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles) in the Windows Registry and then remove it from there. Since I've never tried this myself however, I cannot guarantee that such an action will actually work, nor that it is a safe thing to do! So, if you indeed decide to change your Windows Registry like this, be sure to back it up before you start!

Well, this is all I can think of for the moment.

Aristarchus, you are a genius. And I bet I'm not the first person to tell you that. Thank you so very much for solving my problem.

It was in the BIOS. I found the Universal Connect setting under the DOCKING category and it was indeed set to ENABLED (the default). I changed it to OFF (the only other option) and let my system boot. When I checked the Hardware Profiles, there was now a new one named "Docked Profile 3". And the Undocked Profile was still there. I moved Docked Profile 3 to the top of the list because it is the one I use most often.

Now when I boot, I get a screen that gives me the opportunity to choose the PROFILE. I didn't get that before. I'll have to re-read the article for which you provided a link so that I can better understand how this all works.

Here is my last question. Now that both Profiles appear in the list, shall I go back into BIOS and change Universal Connect back to ENABLED. I don't expect to use my PC with any other docking stations.

BTW, to the best of my recollection, my docking station (a DELL D/Port Advanced Port Replicator) did not come with any software and the instructions said that none is required.

Thank You again.

Melburstein,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad I was able to help you with your Hardware Profile problem.

As for your question about the Universal Connect setting, yes, you may indeed change Universal Connect back to Enabled, for it should serve no other purpose than to minimize the initialization time, when you connect an APR or expansion station to the computer. This may however apply only to the Dell Latitude C/Port Family APR and/or C/Dock Family Expansion Station in conjunction with Windows 95 or Windows 98. So in your case it may not be relevant either way.

And as for your Dell D/Port Advanced Port Replicator needing any software or not, I've looked it up, but as far as I can tell it has no need for any program or driver, just like you said. So that's one less care.

Have a nice day!

Changing Universal Connect back to Enabled had an unexpected but beneficial result. On my first boot after making the change (my PC was docked), Windows gave me three options: Docked Profile 3, Docked Profile (the original profile had returned) and Undocked Profile. I quickly selected Docked Profile. After the system came up, I went to the Hardware Profile screen with the intention of deleting Docked Profile 3. But it was not listed. However, when I booted for the second time a there were only two choices Docked Profile and Undocked Profile. That is what I really wanted to see, so I am very happy.

Melburstein,

It's good to hear that you have finally achieved to get this thing sorted out on your PC. I think that working together on resolving the issue, has led to a satisfactory outcome in a fairly short amount of time. That, no doubt, is a good thing. Now, let's hope others may benefit from the resulting thread on this forum.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back