Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS server @ home 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilzeus

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2002
US
I am trying to learn all about DNS. I own a domain name, lilzeus.net, and I have run a web and email server from my computer at home. I have a cable connection. I have been using for my name servers for my domain. They are switching to paid service and I want to run my OWN name server with my 2000 Advanced Server. I have installed AD as well. My questions are these:

How do I configure my DNS so that my computer is a true name server for my domain?
Will setting up this name server allow my computer to update other name servers like dnsmadeeasy's servers do? Will this allow anyone in the world to type in and visit my website?
How do I set up DDNS since my connection to my ISP is through cable modem and my IP changes?

I have been searching for this information for quite some time with now luck. So I know a little about these things, just not enough. :)

As long as you have your server dcpromo'd and the DNS and AD are talking correctly it will work as the DNS for your local network. For it to correctly server webapges you will need to go where you registered the website and change the name server. You may want to reconsider renaming your computer to ns1.lilzues.net just to make sure you remember and to ake things easier. In the DNS snap-in add a new forward lookup. It should simply be called "." without the quotes. let it use the default settings. Then add lilzues.net. Then add records for all the names you want to use for lilzues.net. For example: A record pointing to is actually finding your DNS server and asking "where the heck is Your computer responds actually xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. The browser then goes to that ip and asks for the index file. You *could* host other peoples DNS for them but on a cable connection I would not reccomend doing too much.

may help. Not sure. Its the only link i can find not talking about using BIND for DNS :)

Wow, thanks a lot! I feel like a sponge! More more more! :) When I installed AD it set up a bunch of stuff for me, with the underscore before the names. So I should make a forward look up forward lookup named '.' and let 2k fill in the blanks for that. Then UNDER that forward lookup I put my A and CNAMEs, MX records, etc? Right now, my domain name registrar has both of DNS made easy's name servers on it PLUS my IP address as a third one. Does that sound right? Or should I just eliminate DNSmade easy's name servers alltogether? I can have up to 10 name servers at my registrar!

What about the DDNS set up? How can I get that to work?

You should start 2 forward lookups. One is the "." called the .root lookup and one for your domain with the A , Cname, and mx's under that. The ones microsoft put there are mostly for your local domain. If you would still like to keep DNS Made Easy as a back-up in case your computer fails list your computer as the 1st name server, and theres as the rest. Then give it a day or two to let the name server changes replicate throught the internet. Your Structure should look like this:

Forward Look Up Zone
-some stuff under the .
lilzues.net
-A, Cname, and Mx's
Reverse Lookup
-Just create a standard reverse and follow the instructions. It should fill itself in.

As for DDNS? I have no clue what that is, sorry :)

DDNS is Dynamic DNS for servers that have a dynamic IP address. Instead of using an IP you use the computer name or something like that to make it work. It looks for the computer name then the name is associated with the CURRENT IP address for the server at the time. It updates frequently. I am just unsure of how to make that work. I guess its time to buy a book. hehe

Sorry I cant be of help on that one. Never had to use it so I dont know how :(

You mentioned dcpromo'd? Whats that? Also, to rename my computer I had to reinstall Ad. Server. NOW, do I have to have AD installed to do this? Will setting this DNS server up make my webpages which use my domain name work?

If your DNS server at home, changes its IP address then everybody trying to look for your name wont find it. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

dcpromo makes the server a domain controller. It ran by going to start-->run-->dcpromo. This should setup up AD and tie it to DNS. As long as your dns server is configured right it will make you webapges work right. If the pages are hosted of your computer and you wanted the dns to point to your computer to get them you would point your DNS to your computer. Basically all DNS does is say "this websites name really means this ip". AD and DCpromo are only if you want to run the domain locally to. Aka have users at your home logon to the lilzues.net domain. AD is relitivly useless if you are not planning on running a local domain. DCpromo is the tool used to make your computer an Domain Controller giving it the power over the other computers. For running just your own DNS and website you do not need to DCPROMO or run AD. Hope this helps. Need more info post more questions :)

koquito, thats what DDNS is for! Dynamic DNS. I have already read up on how it all works, and even my domain name service, offers dynamic IP name service. There are lots of other companies online that offer similar service. So it is certainly possible. :)

koquito, thats what DDNS is for! Dynamic DNS. I have already read up on how it all works, and even my domain name service, offers dynamic IP name service. There are lots of other companies online that offer similar service. So it is certainly possible. :)

lilzues, i think what he is saying is that if you are the dns server, and you are on a connection where your ip regularly changes you will not be able to run DNS. For instance, if you are the DNS server and are ip 192.168.1.2 ( i realize that is a reserved ip, im just putting it there for the sake of things ) and then tommorow your ISP decides to give you the ip of 192.168.1.3 instead your entire website will be down along with any of the other you provide dns for. DDNS is just a way to allow people with dynamic ip's to run webservers. It basically just reports the current ip of the person to the DNS server. If you are looking to offer DDNS service to other people, respond and i'll see what I can dig up. (Note: 2 week vacation starting Monday so posts will not be made)

exactly, that was what i meant...but im not sure if he is worried about running his own DNS service or is worried about something else.
Lizeus are you trying to run your own DNS or not? IF not, what is your main concern? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

lilzeus:

It does not justify the effort to run your own DNS service, merely for supporting a few of your websites, particularly when you do not have a static IP. You may want to try and play with it to help your study, however.

My 2 cents. It's not about whether you can do it or not, it's about HOW
OK, Let's Do It !!! [pipe]
jliu@Cipk.com

Jack,

I ran a DNS server for a while. Static ip of coarse. The only reason I did it was to learn, and to avoind paying the $30 one time fee to have do it. You are right. It's only a good idea if you are trying to learn, or a huge company.

Good advice guys. I am trying to learn and as mike said, trying to avoid any fees I might have to pay. :) I am getting my degree in computer technology with a minor in business in about one semester. But they dont teach us this stuff. :( Hardly any hands on at all actually. It sucks. But I still would like to learn and its always cool to say 'ya, I run my own DNS, web, and email servers' *blow on nails, rub on shirt* hehehe :)

mike, excellent point. Of course if I had looked at it more closely I would have realized that the DDNS is a service that a DNS server can PROVIDE to clients and not something it can USE itself. duh! I get it now. :)

BTW, are you sure I need the root foward look up? Then my mail and web servers go UNDER the root? Also, I noticed that when I installed AD it changed my computer name. Right now my computer name is 'ns1' and thats it! Shouldnt it be 'ns1.lilzeus.net'? Through my tinkering I had got it to be that way before only it was blahblahblah.lilzeus.net.

Also, how do I set it up so it forwards addresses (or lookups or whatever) to my ISP's DNS server? I have all their IP's of course.

You don't need a root forward lookup zone, nor should you have one (delete it if you do). Once that's out, you should be able to right click on your DNS servername (in DNS manager), go to Properties, then the Forwarders tab. You can enable/add forwarders in there. In some cases, after removing the root zone, I've seen servers that needed to have the DNS service restarted to allow the addition of Forwarders, just so you know. In any case, having Forwarders is an optional thing, you don't need them, as your server will automatically query the Internet root servers for any domain data it's not authoritative for.

bronto, For the computer that is on my network (local) I had to use the forwarders for it to gain access to the internet properly. I had to set up forwarders for my ISP's DNS servers. Once I did, it seemed to work properly. I am currious about these 'Internet root servers' and how my DNS server gains access to them. How do I do that? BTW, you are right about not needing the root forward look up.

Got another one for you guys. Since I reinstalled Adv. Server I set it up so my computer name is 'ns1'. So its FQDN is 'ns1.lilzeus.net'. Can I put the FQDN in the name server list with my registrar or do I need to put the IP address in the list?

Also, will my DNS service keep track of what the computer's current IP address is and make changes appropriately? Seems like it would be pretty easy/logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back