Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS server @ home 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilzeus

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2002
US
I am trying to learn all about DNS. I own a domain name, lilzeus.net, and I have run a web and email server from my computer at home. I have a cable connection. I have been using for my name servers for my domain. They are switching to paid service and I want to run my OWN name server with my 2000 Advanced Server. I have installed AD as well. My questions are these:

How do I configure my DNS so that my computer is a true name server for my domain?
Will setting up this name server allow my computer to update other name servers like dnsmadeeasy's servers do? Will this allow anyone in the world to type in and visit my website?
How do I set up DDNS since my connection to my ISP is through cable modem and my IP changes?

I have been searching for this information for quite some time with now luck. So I know a little about these things, just not enough. :)

By default, once you remove the root zone and restart the DNS service, the root internet servers should show up in the Root Hints section on your server's properties page. There are instances where this fails to load however, see this article for more details:
In any case, provided your ISP hasn't done anything odd, you should be able to query those servers just like any others without further intervention on your part.

As for the FQDN thing, in the zone data file for your domain, your registrar only needs to enter an NS record pointing to NS1 and an "A" record which points to the proper IP. This effectively adds the domain suffix for you.

Yes, your DNS server will update IP info automatically. That's what DDNS does...

Lilzeus: You should use 'ns1.lilzeus.net' with your Registar provided that A record for 'ns1.lilzeus.net' is registered in a DNS server. Otherwise, you may have to use IP instead. Bear in mind, however, everytimes you change your IP, the user will have difficulty finding the websites (for all the DNS records in your DNS server), since the DNS records are being updated with time gaps upto 48 hours. It's not about whether you can do it or not, it's about HOW
OK, Let's Do It !!! [pipe]
jliu@Cipk.com

Good news! Its working. Check the old website to see if it pops up for you as well.
I also have an email server running:
I was able to access both this morning from work. Now, is there any way to tell which name server is providing my service? It could still be dnsmadeeasy.com that is providing it. It might just be skipping my name server (because of some problem or improper set up) and going to theirs. I am using tracert to do it. Hopefully I get the results I am looking for. :)

BTW, just wanted to mention that in my situation I am the client AND the server for this. That is to say that I am running the DNS server AND the website on the same computer. I am not providing DNS service for anyone else, just for me for educational purposes. There is only one computer on my local network which requires internet connection.

Thanks for all the great advice. This was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back