Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS MX settings for Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBorrer

MIS
Nov 8, 2001
US
Well still working on the same problem, here's a brief summary.
We were running Sendmail for NT server on the outside of our firewall, used for forwarding mail to our internal Exchange 5.5 box.
The External box has not been changed at all, not one change on the Sendmail server. The server fowards mail on a specified path through the firewall and into our internal server.
When we migrated to Exchange2K we ran into a problem in that the mail would not forward to the Exchange 2000 box.
I configured DNS on the inside network to what I thought was a correct MX DNS entry. I was able to telnet to the DNS name that I had provided for the server, but I still am not sure that it was set correctly.
Does anyone have a screen shot of DNS MX configured or know a website to look at an example to get a better idea of what I am looking for........
I have changed the settings in the firewall to point to the new box but yet still nothing goes to the Exchange2000 box. I switch NAT address in the firewall back to the 5.5 box and it works like a charm. Now why on earth would 5.5 work and 2000.
Any hints greatly appreciated....

Please post your domain name and the planned path and I'll tell ya if the main entry is setup correctly.

Example.

Internet -> Firewall -> Sendmail -> E2k

In this case we would point the MX on the internet to the Firewall. It would be setup to send all port 25 traffic to Sendmail which would forward to E2k if it didn't have the recipient.

Then telnet from each location and try to spoof the message and verify it is accepted. Testing SMTP and MX has been the same for at least 10 years. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Nope its like this

Internet~>Sendmail~>Firewall~>Exchange

having prob with mail getting from Sendmail to Exchange

telnet from the sendmail box to firewall... then see if the e2k banner shows up. or what banner shows up? Dan

The Firewall will not allow me to Telnet through , I don't know how it stops me but it does , yet I can watch the monitor of the firewall and see the Sendmail server Telnet25 to the Exchange server....

preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.texacocommunity.org
preference = 100, mail exchanger = smtp-relay.swbell.net

swbell hosts your dns

you can turn up w3 logging on the SMTP Virtual Server and see the talk between E2k and sendmail and see what happens during the telnet (normal mail flow)

You should see it queue or return an error. If you don't see any traffic in check the configuration of firewall and sendmail to get the data back to it. Dan

Dan, I had gone to that site codeflux and looked all that info up , but doesnt that all just point to the Sendmail box on the outside and shouldnt affect the way sendmail sends to the firewall wich then with NAT sends to Exchange???

I dunno does it? :)

Yeah like I said the next step is to turn up logging on SMTP Virtual Server on E2k and see if sendmail is even trying to send it mail. Dan

Dan, One thing to say , you got great patience and alot of skill for being able to walk people like us through these things... If you do get those screen shots I would like to have them, I could send you a screen shot of mine if you would like to see it....

I just did a screen shot of my DNS and I think I got it wrong, I just dont know what exactly sendmail is looking to send too..

I can't help on sendmail :-(

Do the logging on the Virtual Server and you will know how E2k is currently involved. Dan

Dan were you able to get that screan shot by chance of DNS ???

Did you click on the links?

It works from here just fine. Case sensitive so you must click on the links. Dan

Yeah , all I get is a Image hosted by Tripod Page and thats it

you gotta copy and paste the link into a browser... it is forwarding the link to another page for some reason.

Yeah I finally just manually entered it and it worked , was kinda weird but oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back