Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DLL's "Configured Identity" - how to change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllCaz

Programmer
Dec 5, 2000
US
Have several foxpro COM-DLL's being used to provide access to foxpro data via ASP pages. When ASP issues Sever.CreateObject(), we get an HTTP 500.100 error:

Server Object, ASP 0177 (0x8000401A)
The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password.

There is also an entry in the web server's event log:
DCOM error &quot; Logon Failure: account currently disabled. &quot; and was unable to logon <account> in order to run the server: {some kind of class ID}

The disabled <account> belongs to someone who developed the DLL's but recently quit. How can we change the &quot;configured identity&quot;?

The DLL's don't show up in DCOMCNFG, so I assume they were registered using RegSvr32? Shall I just re-register them, or will that cause more problems?

Thanks!

Hi!

For VFP, DCOMCNFG does not show registered DLL objects, it only show COM objects in EXE format. Try to register object under MTS, or look there if it is already there - if yes, you can change account in MTS.
Vlad Grynchyshyn
vgryn@softserve.lviv.ua
The professional level of programmer could be determined by level of stupidity of his/her bugs

here was the solution:

We're running Windows 2000, which I guess doesn't have MTS, or is calling it something different, either way, I could never find it.

I found the configured identity in Component Services under &quot;COM+ Applications&quot;. Changed the username and password and the website was immediately functioning again.

FWIW, Microsoft changed the name of the middle-tier run-time environment from MTS to COM+ in Windows2000 because the name Microsoft Transaction Server implied the software was specifically for managing distributed transactions. When in fact, middle-tier objects can (and should) be run within the MTS/COM+ environment whether or not they’re involved in transactions. Jon Hawkins

It sure would've saved me a lot of time if the Microsoft Knowledge base articles I found had mentioned that fact. Oh well, the longer it takes me to figure something out, the longer I remember it and the more I learn along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back