Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

divx 5 installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota81

Technical User
May 15, 2001
US
I just came across my first movie file encoded with the new Divx v5 codec, so I had to go and download the codec from the internet...

So to install the newest divx version, it is also required that you install that wonderful Gater corporation ad software! Whoo!

Any way to rid my system of this crap while keeping the codec? Or maybe a different way to install it?

Does the basic Divx 5 Bundle come with Gator? I thought only the Pro version did?
Anyway, you should be able to remove gator through Add/Remove programs. If that doesn't work, I would go into the registry and delete all references to Gator. Be warned though, if you're not familiar with the registry, don't go messing around with it. You can do a lot of damage in there.
A little more far fetched: install a software firewall and block Gator's access to the internet. In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I just installed the DIVX5 about 2 days ago, and I assure that I did NOT have to load that crap up with the DIVX5.
I did get the DivX Player 2.0 though. I downloaded this directly from the
A couple of tips on dumping ...... Gater crap.
* Use MSINFO32 and go to startup,,,,,,,, UNCHECK all the Gator stuff,,,,, then reboot.

>>> REGISTRY ENTRY to remove:

REGISTRY ENTRY for RUN at startup:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
MICROSOFT
WINDOWS
CURRENTVERSION
RUN

> Under that setting you see everything that loads up.
** CAREFUL EDITING THE REGISTRY ************

You can safely delete the GATOR entry(s).

Then remove Gator. Yes, I have unloaded Gator numerous times from customer computers, and had not had to dump what it came with. (Although many times it is junk anyway).

> Run Regclean
> Reboot

If, like me, you don't want to work directly with the registry, then download AdAware 5.7 and the update program. I'm told it removes Gator.
I've had Gator attached to a number of programs I've downloaded, but each time it has given me a flash screen in which I can uncheck a box to prevent it from loading. If you weren't asked, I think whoever did it is violating Gator's policy, as stated on their site.
If you tell them, the guilt will ruin their day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back