Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying a signature from a Symbol Spt1800 Barcode Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofish23

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
US
I have a symbol SPT1800 barcode scanner that is basically a Palm device with a scanner module. I can capture a signature on the palm screen and import it into an OLE Object field in Access, but the signature does not display on reports or the forms. Has anyone had any experiance with this?

Well I have a similar situation - I am using PPT2700 scanners with Visual CE - and basically - as long as you create an OLE field in your table then design the form on the handheld with the correct firld type - either scribble or signature etc. Then you sould have a result in the Access Table - after Sync - of Bitmap Image or Long Binary Data. Then make an Access form and include the field and the signature is there.

My problem is that once the signature has been captured I want to display it on the Web via ASP - but to do this I need to split the picture from the record and store it in a folder - Any One have ANY code for this??????

Chrisbee. I am a new born baby to the mobile computing world who have just invested in the PPT2700 for possible business solution. I see that your reply to this thread indicates quite an expertise in this hardware & microsoft office interaction. I am wondering if you may be able to provide me with a few feedback as to how I may jump start the task of scanning barcodes into an imported Access dB field? Also, is there somewhere you may be able to point me to where I may get my hands on Pocket Office for the above mentioned scanner? I have imported a test Access dB onto my scanner but can not view it. I can see the physical file through browsing but can not open it without Pocket Access? Please help. Thank you for your time.

Well - thanks for the kudos! But no - am by no means an expert but I will gladly share what I have learned with you if it helps. I am developing a courier delivery system - basically to track the delivery of a parcel and get a Proof Of Delivery (POD) from the customer - this gets there name - time of delivery and signature.

I have found several solutions for this including HanDBase 3.0, VisualCE, PocketDB.

My chosen solution was to first download the latest ActiveSync from MICROSOFT and install on the host PC - this takes care of file conversions and keeps the two sync'd. Next after some trial I opted for VisualCE (from ) Whilst it has some limitations it is broadly speaking fairly flexible. Assuming that you are connected properly (which you must be if you have transferred a database) the program will self install on your Symbol. An application also installs on the PC which allows you to drag and drop data fields to design the application - there are many features including multiple pages etc. SO before you use this you transfer the table you want to the Symbol (again VisualCE converts the database for you) then when you want to design the forms you just choose that database from the list (it is converted to .cdb)

Now all you have to do is work away on your Access database and whatever changes are made get Sync'd to the Symbol and visa versa. It works really well - and in terms of data transfer I can't fault it.

My problem was trying to get the signature off the Access database - as even a 10k image file can bloat ACCESS by nearly a Meg per record (ridiculous). Still I have now solved that problem.

I hope this helps

Regards

Chris

Oh and for barcode printing from Acces try IDAUTOMATION - very easy ActiveX control takes about 2 seconds to integrate in an Access Report or form.

Thanks for replying Chrisbee. Wow, amazingly enough...I am attempting the same courier program as you are. I was able to accomplish it using PDAToolbox in Palm OS before but am having a problem with this Windows CE platform. I was wondering if I may be able to contact you outside of this forum via email for additional help if need be. Lunch is on me if you are ever in the Pittsburgh area. Thanks in advance.

btw...my email is qdinfamous@hotmail.com. My other question would be does anyone know how to modify the embedded scanwedge in a Symbol PPT2700 so that the AutoEnter is set to Default(True) rather than false? Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back